Options

Opinions on MS Press 70-299 book + does it include voucher?

GeddonGeddon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm planning on taking the 70-299 exam soon and I am researching which book to get. It'd be a great help if somebody who owns the MS Press 70-299 book could answer the following questions:

1. The MS Press book is listed as being published in 2004 - how comprehensively does it cover the material required to pass the exam as it stands in 2007?

2. If you have experience of more than one study guide/book for 70-299 how would you rate the MS Press title compared to the others.

3. Does the MS Press book include a voucher that gives money off the actual exam? If so what is the expiry date on the codes that are included?

So far I have passed 290, 291 and 293 just using the MS Press 1st edition self study guides, however I have run into a fair number of questions on material that wasn't mentioned in the books (presumably the 2nd editions cover the additional areas). It'd make things a lot easier if the book I use for 70-299 covers all, or almost all, the information needed for the exam.

Money is very tight at the moment so buying multiple books isn't really an option, and the exam vouchers that MS often includes with the book are a big help. However if the 299 book doesn't include a voucher I've got no problem buying a book by a different company.

Basically I can't afford to retake the exam (the exams cost approx £100 each in the UK), I need one book that can help me pass first time - and if it has a voucher great!

Thanks for reading all that!

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site.
    Geddon wrote:
    1. The MS Press book is listed as being published in 2004 - how comprehensively does it cover the material required to pass the exam as it stands in 2007?
    I found the book to be quite useful. I used this book exclusively and it seemed to do the trick. The thing is, is that many of the topics on 70-299 are covered throughout the MCSE series of exams, but are revisited in the 70-299. The technology has mostly stayed the same regarding the security topics, but are explained in detail in this exam. Because of that, this book is still good and explains everything you need to know, regardless of it being published several years ago.
    Geddon wrote:
    2. If you have experience of more than one study guide/book for 70-299 how would you rate the MS Press title compared to the others.
    While I'm usually a fan of using a couple books, if you have gone through the MCSE series, then I think this book alone should suffice. You will already be knowledable with most of the topics presented in the material, but are now explained in more detail. The book, TechExams, Technet, and Google should suffice for this exam.
    Geddon wrote:
    3. Does the MS Press book include a voucher that gives money off the actual exam? If so what is the expiry date on the codes that are included?
    This book does not include a discount voucher.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks