Options

New DC?

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
We are looking at buying a new server to replace our DC, but being new to the role of a systems Admin what do i need to do in order to swap over the old DC onto the new server? do i need to look into seizing the roles??

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi billybob01:

Yes, you will definately need to sieze all 5 rolls.
    Will you also be installing DNS?

Your check list should look something like this:

Install your server OS and all updates.
    Install DNS on new server (if applicable).
    Run DCPROMO on new server.
    Make it a Global Catalog server.
    Now leave it alone for a day or so, don't get in a hurry...
    Transfer all 5 FSMO
    Check this article on how to verify an Active Directory installation.
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/816106
    Verify you have set up a backup routine on the new server, determine if DHCP changes are needed (like DNS on clients, etc.), run a defrag, check for last minute updates, etc.
    Again, be patient and let everything run for a couple of days.
    Shut down the old DC for a couple of days and make sure everything keeps working correctly.
    When you are sure all is well, backup your GPO's, then run DCPromo on the old server.

Hopefully others will chime in as well with ideas. icon_cool.gif
    Good luck! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it is an SBS server, look into the SwingIT migration kit.

Transferring and Seizing FSMO roles are different. If you have two DCs and you are retiring the old one, you would transfer the roles. If the one with the FSMO roles goes offline permantly, then you would seize the roles.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Transferring and Seizing FSMO roles are different. If you have two DCs and you are retiring the old one, you would transfer the roles. If the one with the FSMO roles goes offline permantly, then you would seize the roles.

Good clarification. Thanks. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    WOW sounds like a daunting task. Where in the MCSE track is there more info on this subject or where can i find a kind of walkthrough to help me understand the various steps from start to finish?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    70-294 covers roles and transfers most directly I believe.

Are you completely getting rid of the old DC? Also are you running just a single domain, are there any trusts etc.? There are 2 reasons I ask: You could keep the old one purely as a DC in order to have a running AD backup in case anything happens to the new box. Also if you have any interdomain traffic at all you will be using Global Catalog services and that interferes with the Infrastructure Master role, you could transfer the IS role to the old DC to keep them separate and operational - if you have no trusts/no other domains in the forest then don't worry too much as a GC is a waste.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?