Options

CPU at 100% usage

oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
Small problem, through task manager I see that my CPU usage is 100% all the time. Under the processes tab its the explorer.exe thats taking 90 to 60% of the CPU, I have watched it for a while and it never clears. Virus scan done , spybot scan done, defragged and run sfc /scannow. All fans good ,tempetures in the bios monitor normal. Any ideas gentlemen ??
Try til it hurts then try some more

Comments

• Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Try Spyware Doctor - the trial will at least show you any spyware it has detected which you can remove when you buy the license. It's among the best for Spyware detection.

Any Microsoft/Windows Updates installed recently?
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    try Process Explorer

Its free and downloadle from Microsoft. Its task manager on steroids. IT gives you a more in depth analysis of each process. Might give you a better idea what exactly is causing the usage problem. Check out that link and there should be a downloadble link on that page as well.

helped me out a few times.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,041 Admin
    Try logging into another user account on the same computer. If explorer.exe does not go to 100%, the problem is being caused by a program (shell extension) that is load into explorer when the other user logs in. Check the Run key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER to see what programs are run when explorer.exe starts. It's best to use the msconfig program to do this.

A key to solving this problem might be remembering what software you installed just prior to this problem occurring, new software that you ran, or new Web sites that you visited.
  • Options
    oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    I did get rid of my anti virus for a week icon_redface.gif and suprise , suprise
    I got caught out. Playing with various registry tools I think I manage to .. well make a mess of things. i take note of your anwsers , thank you but a re install was needed...you get what you deserve icon_evil.gif
    Try til it hurts then try some more