Options

Which first A+ or MCDST?

ferlachferlach Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have the following question:

I hope to get a job as a desk top tech. I plan to take A+, and Net+ eventually.

Should I first take the MCDST then the A+ or the otherway around.

I have just gotten my certificate as a PC tech and just finished a network essential course.

I would like some input - help on how I should proceed now in picking up certification.

Also does anyone know how much the MCDST cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    I just recieved my A+ recently. I took the 2003 version, so I don't know what changes took place in the 2006 version. Since the 2003 exam expires in June (depending on what country you live in), I don't think you have any hope of completing that version in time. icon_wink.gif

I have seen quite a few entry level desktop jobs in my area (Chicago) that view both A+ and MCDST as a plus. Since the A+ is not a difficult test (it's pretty basic computer knowledge), and the material you read most likely will cover other operating systems like Mac OSX and Linux, I suggest going for A+ first. It will give you some great background knowledge that I'm sure will aid you in passing the MCDST.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ferlach wrote:
    I have the following question:

I hope to get a job as a desk top tech. I plan to take A+, and Net+ eventually.

Should I first take the MCDST then the A+ or the otherway around.

I have just gotten my certificate as a PC tech and just finished a network essential course.

I would like some input - help on how I should proceed now in picking up certification.

Also does anyone know how much the MCDST cost?

Thanks

Depends where you live what exams cost. However you can always check on the vendor site as well as the exam registration site (vue or prometric). Generally MS exams run $125 in the US.

How to proceed for exams? First, I'm a little confused by your comments...but it's a little late for me....

Take the exams that make the most sense for your career goals. If you have experience in one area over another..then it will likely take less time to prepare for that exam...so most people I know take those exams first.

Doesn't really matter which if first/second or third. If you have a job that requires an A+ then it probably makes sense to take these exams first. If you are planning on or have a helpdesk job, then it may make more sense to go for the MCDST path.

Really depends on what YOU want to do longterm. If you are ready, there really isn't a reason to drag the A+ exam out. I'm a big believer in taking those two exams the same day. This is the way you work with the material, so if you have experience and have prepared...it really isn't that tall of an order. You'll have about a month before you are left with only the 2006 objectives, so snap to it if you want to take the 2003 objectives.

If you want to spread the exams out..you can, but only you can decide what works the best for you, your experience, your preparedness.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    its like they said - it depends which area you want to get into!

me personally would go for the mcdst between the two plus you could use it as an elective towards an mcsa! so you would only need an additional 3 exams for the mcsa after you achieve the mcdst.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking