Options

CCSP vs. CCNP

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I'm in a local college here that only has a CCNA/CCNP track. They do have a few security classes, but it's certainly not preparatory to passing the CCSP certs; they're more overview classes. I know many people study on their own to pass certs, which is what I may have to do with security if I decide to pursue it. Also, how does a career in CCSP differ from a career as a routing and switching professional? I admit that R&S doesn't exactly light my fire, but security is really intruiging to me. Can someone offer me some insight? Also, can one go straight from a CCNA to a CCSP without bothering with CCNP? Thanks bunches.

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes you can go direct to the CCSP from the CCNA.
    As for which to do, the CCNP or CCSP I'd say you already answered yourself (the lighting your fire bit). There are less jobs for a CCSP BUT there are also less of them so it balances out. A lot of folks will tell you to get the CCNP first but there isn't any loss in going straight to the CCSP, there isn't exactly much overlap and the CCNA already sets you up with enough basic R&S knowledge to work the security devices.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
    My 2 cents...

If your field of interest is Security expert(Cisco or not) go for the CCSP or CCIE Security.
    If your field of interest is Cisco expert, go for CCNP and CCSP.
    If you are not ready to specialize, go for the CCNP.

The new CCNP has security topics and provides a good intro to Voice and Security topics.
    I love the way the new CCNP track is put together :)
    I hated all the remote access technologies on the older exams and felt they were dated.

Anybody that works Cisco equipment should get a CCNP IMO, but you can get by with CCSP if you are specializing in Security.

Enjoy!
    icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif:D:D
    -Ciscopimpenator