Options

Editing GPO's

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
howdy ppl,

quick q, ive got a few GPO's with software installers in them and i intend to move the software packages from the server they are located on to a different server. is there anyway you can edit the software location in the current GPO easily or is it better to just recreate them? i wanted to avoid the later because this will force the software to reinstall wont it?

cheers
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's a good question. Here is what I would do:

1. Create a new GPO called "Software Installation Test" or (or just copy the existing GPO with a new name). Set the software installation to be exactly the same as your current GPO - so it will install from the same location.

2. Create a test OU.

3. Move a test computer (that does not currently have the software installed) to the test OU and let it install the software as it normally would. Make sure and reboot a couple of times to make sure it's done.

4. Now change the installation location to the new path and see what happens.

As a side note, if this is only a published application instead of an assigned (I assumed assigned) then on the Upgrades tab, deselect the Required upgrade for existing packages check box and it should only affect users that have not installed it yet. Unfortunately, that box will be grayed out if it is assigned under computer policy rather than user policy.

Another interesting option might be if you were using DFS.
    All things are possible, only believe.