Options

CCNA Study Time?

DanStewartDanStewart Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys
How long did it take you to prepare for your CCNA?
I have some experience with specific areas of the material, but will be starting from scrath on others. If I were to spend 1-2 hrs per night studying, how long approximately would I need to prepare for the exams? 2 months? 6 months? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's kinda hard to say. Everyone learns at a different pace. IMO if you are serious about it, and you study hard everyday, keep the material in your mind all the time (eat,sleep,drink cisco, never stop thinking about it) , and with some backround knowledge, maybe 3 to 4 months.
    It just depends on how long it takes you to read a 500 page book and retain all the information and get comfortable with all the configurations. Cross referencing with another book slows thigns down a bit as well. Right now I'm reading sybex delux edition and cisco press ICND at the same time. I'm half way through both books and have been studying hardcore for about 1 month. They go everywhere I go, like a preacher with a bible. I use them as a pillow too! haha j/k I also have read several chapters 2 and 3 times. reiteration and repitition is the key.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    I agree. It depends on the person. I'm doing the exam in 3 so it took me about 3 months to study from the INTRO from scratch. I had some experiance a few years back but most of this was just new. It took me a month and a half to get into a flow and figure out how to study and how much time. Once i figured it out things came quicker and easier. I also took a month after finishing the book to review, do practice tests then took the exam. Now that i've done it once and know what to do and the feeling of an exam i figure the ICND will be a little quicker (although the material is harder). In the end i'd say about 5-6 months of 1-2 hours a day.

Like everyone says though...depends on you.
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    "Depends on the person" goes w/o saying.

I barely knew what a router was. Then, I took a "boot-camp" style class for 32 hours (company paid), studied the Sybex 5th ed. CCNA book, Que Publishing CCNA book, Cisco Press CCNA FlashCards, took practice exams from both books and the Cisco Press books. Built a lab out of unused equipment (company owned). All together, total time: about 2.5-3 months. I was working pretty hardcore on it, I'd say at least 10 hours a week. None of that accounts for my previous networking experience or education.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    Paul#4Paul#4 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems like you have to do IT exams hardcore...

If you spend time half-assed you can take 1 year+ learning technologies that change constantly.

If you are in the IT field you gotta be hardcore for IT.

This doesn't mean compromise learning things the right way...on the contrary....

There is a lot of knowledge in the CCNA cert because it's so broad.
    Some people pass with high scores but do they fully understand the depth of the commands and technologies. Learning is never ending.

I would say 6-12 months to pass the CCNA with no experience.
    I think passing the CCNP is not as hard as people make it seem.

Once you get the CCNA you can pass the CCNP within the same time, 6-12 months is good.

You could probably go from CCNA to CCIE in 3 years if you really focus, maybe sooner, like many people have.
    Gimme gimme gimme
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    Paul#4 wrote:
    You could probably go from CCNA to CCIE in 3 years if you really focus, maybe sooner, like many people have.
    I agree with that. You'll need experience to match as well. CCNA w/o experience is possible. CCIE w/o experience, GLWT.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]