Options

Preparing for A+

azurepancakeazurepancake Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Howdy,

I am a fresh graduate right out of high school and it's time for me to find a job. I've always wanted to land one in some type of computer/technical field. So I've came to the decision to take the A+ exam. But first! My whole knowledge of how the test works in the first place is quite blurry so naturally I have several questions..

First, from my knowledge there seems to be three different tests, each aimed at separate areas of occupation, the 220-602, 220-603 and the 220-604 as well as something called the "Essentials test" which is what I think is some kind of prerequisite to the A+ core exam?
And also from what I heard there is two parts of each test, Hardware and OS/Software. You need to pass both of these to become fully A+ certified correct?

I am very indecisive on which area I would like to take, 220-602, 220-603 or 220-604.

Second, I am trying to put together a study road map. I hear the "A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (Mike Meyers)" is highly acclaimed and some people have even mentioned they passed the exam studying only out of this book! Although I don't think that to be a very wise decision. So my idea is to purchase this book, read it, write notes and do a little hands on work as well as doing extra research on-line so not all my knowledge is only coming from this book.

Basically I would just like to know if I am going on the right path or not.

I will greatly appreciate any constructive comments, tips or advice.

Thank you very much!

:D

Comments

• Options
    dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right now there are two versions of the A+ exam available. The 2003 version and the 2006 version. The 2003 version is being retired soon, it had two tests Hardware and OS. The 2006 version has the essentials test and then you must do one of the three elective tests to become A+ certified.

A+ is a good cert to go for when your trying to start in the IT business. I personally took the 2003 version and it was fairly easy to pass. The way you plan to study sounds good. Hands on time always seems to help me. I have never read the Mike Meyers book for A+ but I think his books are supposed to be good. Just make sure you get a book for the 2006 version of the exam.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Basically I would just like to know if I am going on the right path or not.

First welcome!

Second, your going down the right path because you are asking questions! :)

My suggestion, start with the objectives. I think you may find that the overlap a bit...so see if that helps you decide which gives you the most flexibility. Probably 602 provides the most flexibility...but really, do invest too many sleepless nights over 'which' unless you have a job lined-up requiring you to have one cert extension over another.
    (or just hustle up and complete the 2003 objectives ;) ).

Otherwise, the YES, you do sound like you are on the right path...notes, reading etc... worth it!!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?