Options

Simulator Experience - new to forum

wyvern1wyvern1 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
:D Good Day !! Great Forum
New to the forum and to Cisco, and I had a question on the simulators if I may.
There was an article back in August which referanced that simulator experience would be considered as "actual experience" by companies. I think that's how it was worded.
I'm about half way through my CCNA. I have Routersim's Network Visualizer 4 and think it's a great tool. I use it daily.
My question. How would one list the simulator experience on a resume?
With the cuurent job market, I need all the edge I can get. If I can list it, I want to.
I realize the value of a home lab and do plan to put one together, but the sim will have to do for now.
My chosen track is CCNA; CCDA; Security+, CCSP; CCIE
Thanks !!!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You could list it under education, but don't list it under 'job experience' ;)
  • Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    I bought a $199 eRouter simulator from certblaster.com. It does a fantastic job.. With the commands, it doesn't do much else. The program doesn't propogage routing tables, even. Half the nifty real-world situations (upgrading your IOS, config-register stuff) is nonexistant, and frame relay doesn't support.. pinging.. even.

Some advice I'd have is study CCNA books religiously and use the simulator just to simply see if the commands enter correctly and your configuration doesn't botch up.

I wouldn't personally put it on a resume. I would omit the method ccna was learned through, and if prompted I would reply official cisco books and online material. Simulators are supplementary tools not replacements.
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    I forgot to mention I've got real routers to play with too >D
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.