Is Network+ Neccesary?

StevenFL02StevenFL02 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am new here and I am currently studying for my A+, which will be my first certification. I plan on eventually getting my CCNA & CCNP.

Would it be pointless to take the Network+ if I will be getting a CCNA?

By having a CCNA, does that make a Network+ reference on your resume not very valuable (or less valuable)?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some people will say yes and some will say no. It is really up to you. Just keep in mind CCNA is only good for 3 years and Net+ is for life. Also, Net+ is a good foundation for CCNA but cost more to take. CCNA is more difficult which makes it hold more weight in the IT industry. But alot of employers ask to for Net+ and like to see someone with both A+/Net+. From what I have seen unless you already have IT experience it will be difficult to find a job configuring Cisco routers and switches with just a CCNA but of course there are always exceptions. I hope that helps. Good luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I don't think it is pointless.... It is a vendor neutral certification that is more focused on concepts rather than specific products and configurations.

However, it's value next to having a CCNA is minimal for sure. From what I recall of my CCNA classes, the material covered in the first semester pretty much covered everything I needed to know to pass the Network+ anyway.

I think that if you are unfamiliar with networking concepts or just starting out with networking than the Network+ is going to be more valuable to you.
  • blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    It seems like the entire range of CompTIA certifications are very generalized in their content. Not in a bad way, either. They are vendor-neutral, which is something you can't say for M$ or Cisco certs, for example. That said, the A+, Net+, and Security+ seem geared to someone without much knowledge in their respective fields.

Personally, the A+ helped me out greatly in starting my IT career. Before taking the prep classes at my college for the A+, I was pretty much ignorant of anything technical regarding PCs. I took the Net+ course after taking CCNA 1 (and possibly 2), and it was a pretty crappy course, so I really can't give much of an opinion on it... But I'm currently re-studying my book in order to take the test. It seems that the material actually covers topics from all four parts of CCNA. Some things it does not go as in-depth as CCNA, but it's still a good exam.

Bottom line: CompTIA exams may not carry as much weight as other exams (especially vendor-specific ones), but they are a great baseline to build knowledge. Besides, I think most if not all, CompTIA exams certify you for life like sthomas said. icon_wink.gif
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's not pointless if you get the CCNA. The Net+ provides a good grounding for the CCNA and then you can use A+ and Net+ as an MCSA elective if you decide to go down the MS route.

The down side is compTIA exams are expensive! I got mine as my work re-imbursed me for it if I passed....which I did :D
  • boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I will just fall inline with the reasoning of everybody else, Net+ is a good foundation for your CCNA studies. I am currently working on my CCNA and the Net+ has helped me.

Regards,

:D

Also, if you watch websites like getcertify4less.com and they have deals on vouchers that are expiring soon. That goes for most tests not just Net+, so it can save you some money.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Despite the good amount of overlap (primarily between the INTRO portion of CCNA and Network+) there are quite a lot of topics in the Network+ that aren't in the CCNA. I don't think it's a waste because the additional certification certainly won't look bad on your resume and if you are a beginner, the Network+ topics are a pretty good collection of essential topics that are good to know regardless of your future direction in IT. But, Network+ is very basic, and CompTIA exams are more expensive, so skipping it, to replace it with something else (e.g. MCP/MCTS/CCDA) would not be a wrong move or anything.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The only thing I can add to what's already been said is that no certification will ever be worth less because you have another on you resume. Network+ won't be worth any less if you have CCNA, than if you had only Network+. You will, however, probably get more attention for the CCNA, but one certification will not deprecate another.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you don't mind spending the money -- go for it.

The Network+ is good preparation for the INTRO portion of the CCNA.

If you get the Network+ before the CCNA, then it shows progression in your studies.

You can use the A+ and Network+ combo as an elective for MS stuff if you want to add more tools to your IT skills toolbox later on.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!