Options

Bachelor of Technology

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
With my current degree, an associates in telecommunications systems management (routing and switching path < cisco yay) i can transfer to charleston southern university and earn a bachelors of technology. Should i be looking to do something like this? Or will the Bachelor of Technology for Computer Science somehow hold less weight vs other degrees?

it also looks like once i get in for the BT degree i can switch to a "traditional" bachelor degree and possibly go for a bachelor of science or arts..

decisions decisions.

so should i do something like that?
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it will matter to most employers. Most of the ads I see are asking for a bachelors in Computer Science or a related field. They don't seem to care if it is a BS, BT, or BA.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    agreed, i think just have the bachelors is the important part.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I agree with what's already been said. It doesn't really matter which of the Bachelor's you have (just check out Wiki, there are alot). The main point is that you have one. IMO the Bachelor's level is a nice level, it's not foundation level or a master's level - a middle of the road degree icon_lol.gif

Good luck :)

-Ken
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    i can transfer to charleston southern university and earn a bachelors of technology. Should i be looking to do something like this? Or will the Bachelor of Technology for Computer Science somehow hold less weight vs other degrees?
    What is important is that CSU is an accredited university with a genuine bachelor's degree. Many tech schools have a degree that they call a "bachelor's degree" but it is not the same paper as from an accredited university, and the units don't transfer to any "real schools." Employers know the difference, and a "real" degree will serve you better over the course of your life.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Whether it's a Bachelor of Technology, Science or Arts depends on the kinds of courses you are taking in order to receive the degree. Usually a BA is 3 years with only about half the courses pertaining to your major, the rest are electives, a B.Sc is usually 4 years with closer to 3/4 of the courses pertaining to your major, whereas a B.Tech is what's sometimes known as an "applied degree" where the courses you take, despite in your major or not are more hands-on, with a large lab component, less theory, less abstract, and generally does not lead to postgraduate studies unless if you combine it with other qualifications.

The kind of bachelor's degree you receive will matter MOST in grad school application, some schools may view a B.Tech as unequal to a B.Sc or B.A.Sc/B.Eng, but for all meaningful purposes besides future studies, it should not matter much.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Unless you're considering a career at NASA, it doesn't matter.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    It does matter with government jobs.