Cisco Press CCDA symbology

tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
What does the "Layer 3 switch" symbol with the letters "Si" in the core (attempting a little CCDA humor) mean?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ah.... core.... Si in the symbol -- I get it icon_lol.gif

I'd say Si is Standard Image..... is there an Ei one too (for Enhanced Image)?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They use the Si for the "silicon switching", I guess it's a bit dated but that is how they would represent a switch doing L3 switching in hardware. Now I think it goes without saying that multilayer switching is done in hardware. They also used a switch icon with an extra bit on the bottom that had 4 rectangles with lines between them to represent a L3 switch with the MFFC installed (going back to the 5000/5500 here)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow!, you really are a veritible fountain of knowledge! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

dtlokee wrote:
    They use the Si for the "silicon switching", I guess it's a bit dated but that is how they would represent a switch doing L3 switching in hardware. Now I think it goes without saying that multilayer switching is done in hardware. They also used a switch icon with an extra bit on the bottom that had 4 rectangles with lines between them to represent a L3 switch with the MFFC installed (going back to the 5000/5500 here)

dtlokee,

Do you mean "silicon switching" in terms of those methods of switching above and beyond: 1) store and forward 2) cut through 3) fragment free ? The "switching methods" that were in the Routing/BSCI materials that confused me when switching was mentioned in the routing materials? If so, then a icon_idea.gif just lit in my head. :) I have this recollection of "process switching" as another switching method.