Options

Passed the 70-270

rkholmesrkholmes Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed with a 731 today. I don't feel too bad about the low score for several reasons.

1. This was my first Microsoft exam, I really was not 100% sure what to expect.

2. The test was laggy all through the exam, and at one point lagged two minutes. These interruptions throw me off my game. Each time I went to the proctor to say WTF, I felt my stress level rising.

3. I was very over-confident and sat for this exam with less than 10 hours study time. I expected to blow through it like a CompTIA exam and I was sadly mistaken. I finished with 15 minutes to spare.

Some observations that I will communicate to confirm what I have seen others say about this exam in this forum.

1. I did have 1 duplicated question

2. The questions are long and drawn out, but I think the reason for this is that is Microsoft's way to provide a distraction and make you actually think. Very few questions did I have which had obvious incorrect choices. Many of the choices were only different at the switch point of the CLI syntax. One question which I initially saw as a second duplicate was a crafty lightly re-worded version of a question that I had earlier in the exam. I was almost clicking without thinking and then caught the subtle differences.

My test had many questions involving profiles, GPO and permissions both share, file, and effective. No interactive questions (like drag and drop), but many of the networking related questions had exhibits (of extremely poor quality) that illustrated networks. I had one wireless question, and a few about scenarios with people serving websites via IIS on their Windows XP workstation.

I tested through Prometric simply because they currently have a 40% off for first time MS test takers promotion going on right now. The test cost me $75 rather than the standard MS buck and a quarter. The place I tested is a center for both Vue and Prometric and the proctor did suggest off the record for a better quality MS test (much less lag) experience next time book through Vue.

One final observation, I was seated at a workstation with a 17" monitor for the test. Almost each question had scrollbar love. A 19" LCD would have been more appropriate, as I would not have had to scroll each question to the bottom (annoying MS requirement if your going to skip a question and mark it for review).

To study, I used the technotes from this site. Thanks for having them available Johann.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    Congrats ! :)
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Considering the factors, you did quite well. Congratulations and I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your certifications. :)
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    swagger77swagger77 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats, good with only 10 hours study!! i studied 2 months but not so effective as i could have
  • Options
    12mcken12mcken Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the exam. Whats next? Hopefully, that will be me one day. Thanks for the prometric promotion tip. I needed an incentive to get my butt in gear.
  • Options
    rkholmesrkholmes Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sat the 70-271 today and scored 833. I will take the 70-272 tomorrow afternoon and hopefully be a MCDST when I walk out of the test center.

Oh and I was semi-incorrect on that 40% thing, its sponsored by MS and not Prometric. I bought a 20% off code on eBay (good for 20% off an unlimited number of exams through the end of June), and the MCT who sold it to me, advised the 40% deal applies at VUE also.