Dial in Access Question

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
It says here, Dedicated modem lines don't require encryption becasue communications do not go over the public data network, In addition, you can use security features available only in phone systems ,such as Caller ID verification and callback security.

I am a-little confused. Caller ID and Callback Security don't seem to sound very secure.
I would have thought a dedicated line would at least require ppp & IPsec ?

Can someone clear up my confusion my book does not help on this point.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    It says here, Dedicated modem lines don't require encryption becasue communications do not go over the public data network, In addition, you can use security features available only in phone systems ,such as Caller ID verification and callback security.

I am a-little confused. Caller ID and Callback Security don't seem to sound very secure.
    I would have thought a dedicated line would at least require ppp & IPsec ?

Can someone clear up my confusion my book does not help on this point.

Wikipedia defines a "Dedicated line" as:

"In computer networks and telecommunications, a dedicated line is a communications cable dedicated to a specific application, in contrast with a shared resource such as the telephone network or the Internet.

In practice, such services may not be provided by a single, discrete, end-to-end cable, but they do provide guarantees of constant bandwidth availability and near-constant latency, properties that cannot be guaranteed for more public systems. Such properties add a considerable premium to the price charged.

As more general-purpose systems have improved, dedicated lines have been steadily replaced by intranets and the public Internet, but they are still useful for time-critical, high-bandwidth applications such as video transmission."

Accordingly, a Dedicated Line is non-switched and therefore is not public. Have a look at this definition:

"A dedicated line is a telecommunications path between two points that is available 24 hours a day for use by a designated user (individual or company). It is not shared in common among multiple users as dial-up lines are. A dedicated line can be a physical path owned by the user or rented from a telephone company, in which case it is called a leased line. A synonym is nonswitched line (as opposed to a switched or dial-up line)." - http://searchvoip.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid66_gci211919,00.html

Here are some examples of Dedicated Lines - http://www.inebraska.com/dedicated.html .
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."