How Do I share a Printer and Files

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
It's been a while and I forgot how to set up file and print sharing on XP. I have a wireless network with one laptop and one desktop and would lime to share some files and the printer. Thanks
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Before doing anything, I suggest installing the drivers for the printer on your other computer.

First, make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and Client for Microsoft Networks, is installed and enabled on your NIC card (or wireless card).
    1. Go to Control Panel - Network Connections.
    2. Right-click your wireless connection, click Properties.
    3. Make sure both File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and Client for Microsoft Networks, appear in the list of services and both check boxes are "checked".
    Now, enable the printer to be shared. This is assuming the printer is installed on your desktop.
    1. Open Control Panel - Printers and Faxes.
    2. Right-click your printer, click Properties.
    3. Click the Sharing tab.
    4. Depending on your firewall settings, you may get nagged about security risks and such. Just enable sharing.
    5. Click Share This Printer. Give it a name.
    Now, enable the printer on your laptop.
    1. In the Printers and Faxes window, click the File menu, click Add Printer.
    2. Click "A Network Printer..."
    3. Either type in the name, or browse for the printer.
    That should be it. If you have any problems, let us know.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson