Options

Repair install crashes at 25 minutes

pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been trying to repair xp home sp2 on a laptop for 5 days now, and it keeps crashing at the 25 minute mark - completing installation.

I have tried disabling everything that is unnecesary in the BIOS including network card, usb, some battery options for the laptop and the wireless LAN (well i can't really disable that, so i set it to "Always Off". I have tried to access the add remove programs wizard from command prompt during the setup but that stalls as well. Can anyone help?
God deserves my best

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can backup you data you may want to do that, then do a fresh install of Windows XP instead of a repair. If that does not work you may have an issue with your harddrive. It is hard to tell, if you could give more details that would be great.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    pizzaboy wrote:
    I have been trying to repair xp home sp2 on a laptop for 5 days now, and it keeps crashing at the 25 minute mark - completing installation.

Have you checked the Windoze CD?

Could be a problem with the media rather than the laptop icon_confused.gif:
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check the hard drive.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Where in the install process does it crash and how specifically?

Does if give you a specific error? Does it make it to the GUI portion of the install?
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    I had the same exact thing happen to me with a laptop I have. Except, in my case, the error was so severe that I could not boot the machine after the error, nor could I just run a clean install. It kept returning me to the repair process, right where it failed. (Keep in mind this was before my A+ studies, so I had no knowledge about the Recovery Console...) Luckily, my computer was still under warrenty, and the LCD screen was crapping-out. So I just sent it in, and they gave me a clean image.

Recently, I've been having an issue with Office 2003. I tried a repair. It did something, but the problem still persisted.

Henceforth, I have lost nearly all confidence in M$'s 'repair' features in their applications...
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I had the same exact thing happen to me with a laptop I have. Except, in my case, the error was so severe that I could not boot the machine after the error, nor could I just run a clean install. It kept returning me to the repair process, right where it failed. (Keep in mind this was before my A+ studies, so I had no knowledge about the Recovery Console...) Luckily, my computer was still under warrenty, and the LCD screen was crapping-out. So I just sent it in, and they gave me a clean image.

Recently, I've been having an issue with Office 2003. I tried a repair. It did something, but the problem still persisted.

Henceforth, I have lost nearly all confidence in M$'s 'repair' features in their applications...

I have had wonderful luck in the past with Repair install for Windows... There has only been a couple of time where that has not worked but I was able to get things worked out in Recovery console on those issues!

As for Office! I share your pessimism! None of the Office "repairs" have ever, Ever!!! Workied for me!

You are better off downloading the office uninstall cleanup tool from MS, perform a regular uninstall, run the cleanup tool and reinstall office from scratch....
  • Options
    Where in the install process does it crash and how specifically?

Does if give you a specific error? Does it make it to the GUI portion of the install?

It stops responding at the point where it says "completing installation", and by this i mean i can not access command prompt (shift + F10) or see specifically where the install is i.e. (shift + F11).
    However the mouse still works though, well at least the touhpad.

can't remember the exact error but it goes something like "can not set security " and i am paraphasing.

It makes it to the GUI yes but it crashes at 25 minutes.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359

I agree. I had way more problems doing a repair than necessary. When in doubt, do a fresh install.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    If the hard drive checks out OK it may be a problem installing a driver or interacting with a hardware subsystem. Before starting the installation, disconnect all unnecessary peripherals and deactivate unnecessary motherboard features in the BIOS menu to see if you can get the installation to complete.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    If the hard drive checks out OK it may be a problem installing a driver or interacting with a hardware subsystem.....

Thanks, i will run the chkdsk in recovery console to see if there are any errors but the hard drive wasn't giving problems before. However, i disabled everything i could in the BIOS incuding the battery options and it still crashed at 25 minutes. Would it help if i took out the battery altogther? i am wiling to try anything except a clean install, that is a definite last resort.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Removing the battery wouldn't be useful, but I would disconnect all USB devices. I once had a Windows installation crashing the same way because the installer didn't like a USB flash drive that was connected to the machine. Windows had not problem with the drive after it was fully installed.

Is there a log file produced by the installation process? It would sure help to know what the installer was doing (or did last) before the crash.
  • Options
    i disabled the usb on the BIOS settings. Would i still be able to view what happened last when the setup restarts? The reason i ask is because i could not access command prompt to take a look at the setup or error logs.

The GUI was stuck on "completing installation" and it was about 2/3 complete.
    God deserves my best