How do you deal with....

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
....that user.

Im sure we all know the one, just manages to get under your skin and wind you up. icon_rolleyes.gif

Just had one just now, I sorted his problem and took a walk around the outside of the building and came back in and got started again.

Just wondered what other people did.
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See my avatar?
    <<

Just kidding.... sometimes though..... very tempted..... icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    My boss and I usually just laugh about it. I work with a bunch of engineers and they're definitily a different breed. As long as I get everything up and running and they're able to do their job, I see no need to get all wound up over it. I just go tell my boss and we always have a good laugh. He has plenty of stories since he's been working with them a lot long than I have.
    Working on Linux+
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    LOL
    we all encounter em at some point
    stonecold26.jpg
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    You should try working customer support in a computer gaming company. We have about five that users at any given time, most of which are under the age of 16 (or at least their brains are).
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    that user if he/she is suppose to be your superior?

sigh...ask me how I know allout.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I used to volunteer if 'that' user needed support, it's what made the call/helpdesk a fun job. Be like the MacDonalds, customer is king. Being able to turn a cranky user into a happy "customer" gave me a lot more satisfaction in my job than than some colleagues I had who let those users drive them nuts. That only worked for a couple of years though and can be just as tiresome, but at least it's positive.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've had plenty of experience with that user. When I'm doing consulting on my own, I tend to take a pretty firm stand when it comes to the user making demands or expecting a lot of free work. I used to be pretty easy-going with it, but I got a little worn out with "I need this done right now" or "do you know how much money I'm losing because you have my computer?!?" kind of comments. . . especially when they started coming from close friends and family that I was doing free work for. These days, I don't get snide or sarcastic with that user, when working on my own, I find that a simple "no" does just fine when I've had enough of the attitude/demands/complaining/insults, or whatever else they throw at me.

When working for a company, I tend to make sure I know company policy to the letter. When I worked at CompUSA, it was easy. I just nodded my head and tried my best to smile, even when they complained and yelled at me. My direct boss had been a technician before he got to where he was, so he understood where the lines were crossed. When that customer, in this case, would begin throwing out personal insults, talking about lawyers, or blaming our techshop for causing him/her to lose money, that's when I'd inform the customer that I was no longer able to help them, and that I'd get a manager to assist them.

Now, working in a NOC, helping regular clients, life is a bit different. Some people have come to expect to have their butts kissed by us, and I tend to avoid dealing with those people. If I have to deal with them, I take it by the book. . . no freebies, quoting exact prices, and I let them complain and moan as much as they want. The same hard-lines apply: if they threaten with legal action, become harsh and insulting, or threaten to walk away and go to another company, I let them speak to a manager. Some of the time, the managers even know who I'm talking to, so they've pre-authorized me to not take crap, and simply try to do my job as best I can. Incidentally, I've had five different people come calling me back, these last two weeks alone, apologizing for blowing up and admitting that they couldn't get a better price for the services we offer. Calling that user's bluff is often times the most effective thing you can do.

I guess I got to a point where I stopped letting the demanding or difficult clients bother me. If they don't like what I'm doing for them or how I'm doing it, so long as I'm trying to help them as best I can, then they can find someone else to do it for them. I won't go out of my way to assist someone that's not being reasonable, regardless of how "important" that person may be. I like to help people, I dislike having to give up on someone that needs something, but I simply won't deal with people if they're unreasonable or outright rude. If a client can be reasonable and rational, I'm always willing to grant them the same courtesy.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Don't really see it as I am not in customer service. But every now and then a user gets out of control, I have my staff walk away and contact me. I then contact their dept head and let them know their problem is going to go unsolved. I make it clear, there is no excuse or exceptions for that kind of attitude. I would rather be fired than put up with someone else's bad day.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The two places I provide support for are very different, one is a science lab, one is a trading floor. The trading floor things have to be fixed quickly otherwise the users don't stay friendly for long. The science lab, well if their pc's dont work they just go mix some horrible looking stuff together until I fix their problems, so not too bad icon_lol.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Patience is key. You cannot counter impatience with impatience. Doing so will only lead to conflict between you and that user.

The other thing is, if you screw up, be honest!!! If you lie, either your boss or the customer will find out eventually. Once they do, you will have hell to pay. Even worse if the customer already doesn't like dealing with tech support. If you cause them more trouble, they'll grill you until you're charred.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Sit on the other end of the line and doodle whilst paying enough interest to know what they want. I find drawing a hanging man the most usefull. Or this requires some excersise, hold the phone handset at arms length but facing you. Then slap your forhead in a 'are you a moron' gesture ( just remember not to apply this when talking to them face to face.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • twiggytwiggy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Usually when it comes to that user, I want to fix their problem, but make it clear that coming to me with that attitude is not going to get things done. That is not a trend I like to promote.

I just usually keep my responses short and to the point, and stay professional..
    While its not exactly honest, I make everything I say sound sure and everything that happens is exactly what is expected, you never want them to know you might not know or you need a moment to think. Try and put yourself back in control and focus on the issue - not on whatever their rant is.
    And usually I tell them it will take up to double the time it takes to fix something, so you come out on top when its fixed in an hour instead of 2.

If they go too far, then you shut them down. I escalate the problem to my manager, or discuss it with their manager. Usually people just want to hold someone responsible, and I try to turn it around to the best way to fix the problem is to work together on finding a solution - so we can both get back to work.

And I doodle what I really think of them... somehow it makes me feel better...