Options

Boson NetSim...switching woes

Bob_the_GoonBob_the_Goon Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good evening all,

I'm currently trying to setup a couple of VLANs using Boson NetSim.

The switch is a 2950 using IOS 12.1. The command I believe I should be using is the following:

Switch1#config t
Switch1(Config)#vlan 2

For some reason the sim doesn't like this. In fact the only way I can create a VLAN is by the following means:

Switch1#vlan database

Now I'm sure this shouldn't be the case for a 2950 with IOS 12.1. Are my suspicions correct?

Many thanks,

Bob the Goon

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's very possible that the simulator software is only set up to take the command that way. According to Cisco's site you can enter VLAN configuration mode with either command. In this case, though, you're stuck with what the simulator wants.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Hi, I have just tried in a 2950 switch in my Boson netsim and it takes well that command, what version You are using of Boson netsim? I'm using v.6.00.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rjbarlow wrote:
    Hi, I have just tried in a 2950 switch in my Boson netsim and it takes well that command, what version You are using of Boson netsim? I'm using v.6.00.

What IOS version are you simulating? Maybe you two are simulating different IOS versions.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Netstudent wrote:
    What IOS version are you simulating? Maybe you two are simulating different IOS versions.
    Aahm, Version 12.1.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anything prior to the full release of version 6 (including 5.xx and the 6.xx betas) don't take VLAN commands like that. You have to set them up the old way.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Bob_the_GoonBob_the_Goon Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah that will explain it then.

I'm using Netsim 6.3 Beta and the IOS was 12.1.

Hmmm, looks like I'm going to need to splash some cash on some real kit!! Watch out ebay, Bob the Goon is on his way... :D
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Good evening all,

I'm currently trying to setup a couple of VLANs using Boson NetSim.

The switch is a 2950 using IOS 12.1. The command I believe I should be using is the following:

Switch1#config t
    Switch1(Config)#vlan 2

For some reason the sim doesn't like this. In fact the only way I can create a VLAN is by the following means:

Switch1#vlan database

Now I'm sure this shouldn't be the case for a 2950 with IOS 12.1. Are my suspicions correct?

Many thanks,

Bob the Goon

Bob the Goon,

How about trying...
    Switch1(Confi9g)#int vlan 2

Instead of ...
    Switch1(Config)#vlan 2

?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How about trying...
    I think the post is about creating the VLANs, the newer "config" method vs the older "vlan database" method.... not the "Administrative VLAN" for layer 2 swithes or SVIs for Layer 3 switches -- apples and oranges :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    A way I like to use is by going into the actual interface and assigning it to a VLAN.

Router(config)#int f0/5
    Router(config-if)#switchport mode access
    Router(config-if)#switchport access vlan 105
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    Yes, I was having issues with this as well, but not from a simulator stand-point, but from understanding the (2) different methods.

Q: You use the 'vlan database' command when you span vlans accross multipule switches currect? And when you use the 'vlan database' command you are actully modify the database sort of speak?
    Arrakis
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    not necessarily. It's two different ways to do the same thing. The vlan database command is being phased out.

you can use the command YOYO(config)# vlan 10 name sales

and still put vlan10 on another switch.

VTP is used to automatically transfer VLAN information to vtp mode client switches.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VTP is used to automatically transfer VLAN information to vtp mode client switches.

Be careful with this one, VTP transfers the database between switches and the database with the highest revision number wins even of it came from a client switch.

Try this: take 2 switches and configure them for a trunk between them, and put them in the same VTP domain with the same VTP domain password. Create a few vlans on one of the switches and wait for them to be sent to the other switch. Disconnect the link between the two switches and add a few more vlans to one of the switches and change its mode to client. Use the "show vtp status" command to ensure the revision of the client is higher than the server, then connect them back together and see what happens.
    The only easy day was yesterday!