Options

Taking the CCNA Exam Tomorrow June 5th!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Welp, I've been reviewing these forums for a couple of weeks. I've taking four classes related to the CCNA exam and I've been going through the Testout CD's for review. Subnetting I am pretty solid on (thanks to Todd Lammle) though I do need to memorize my powers of 2. I am confident yet still scared to take the exam. Any words of advice for tomorrow? One thing I know I need to work on is reading what they want for the sims and reviewing what I did.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    Rob_KongRob_Kong Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

My advice for the sims is make sure you know your routing protocols (RIP, EIGRP and OSPF) and as for remembering the commands, make sure you use the ? command and always ping.

Good Luck,

Robert
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck :D
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!

Only tip I can give you is to get a good night's sleep, and try to relax while taking the exam. If you get stuck on a question, skip it if it takes too long. The time limit for the CCNA is pretty strict, so there's not much room for lolly-gagging :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Good luck on the exam. The only advice I can give you is to try to remember Cisco's best practices. For all the questions, whether they're sims, multiple choice, simlets, whatever, you have to remember that the correct answer is always the one that Cisco recommends. (Sometimes, just like any other vendor-specific exam, this contradicts what you might do in the real world.) Let us know how it goes.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just watch the time limit and don't get stuck in one question, just go ahead and you may remember the answer later.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gogousa wrote:
    Just watch the time limit and don't get stuck in one question, just go ahead and you may remember the answer later.
    Good luck

This is definitely BAD advice. You can NOT go back to a previous question once you've moved on, so deliberate a question when it's in front of you because if you move on you can write that question off, you will not see it again.

My advice? Eat a decent light meal before the test (grilled chicken or a salad or something similar) and don't consume a lot of caffeine. Sleep well prior to the test (if it's not in the AM catch a quick nap prior to taking it). Wear something comfortable. There's no point in taking an expensive test in a business suit. You may look nice, but looking nice is not as important as passing the test. I always look like a bum when I take tests, even for college (but that's a part of the game, I think, hehe).

You're more than likely going to be given one or several laminated sheets of paper and a dry erase marker. Prior to taking the test you're given a 15-20 minute "pre-test" used to show you how the test works. I advise that you go to Cisco's website and under "careers/certification" review the bit about how to take the exam. By doing that, you can spend the valuable 15 minutes before the test writing factoids on your laminate sheet (just use the back if they only give you one, or request multiple from the get go). It's not cheating to brain **** useful information like CIDR numbering, routing protocol administrative distances, and other quick reference factoids you may need.

As I said, you can't go back to a question once you've moved past it, but don't let not knowing an answer get you down. Every question is weighted differently and some don't even count (they're there for testing purposes). If you feel anxious or flustered if you're blindsided by a question you don't know the answer to take several deep breaths and move on. The exam is only $100, and is re-takable any number of times, so worst case scenario you're out some money and maybe a little pride. It's not like you can't just re-take it later, however. I think of it this way. If the average CCIE candidate passes the lab after 3 attempts, I'm not going to beat myself up over failing a significantly cheaper exam.

Good luck and have fun.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Well, the 640-801 exam is $125, the 640-811 and 640-821 are $100 apiece.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    $100, $125, whatever. It's not $1250..
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll go with relax, get a good night's sleep, and watch the time management on the exam.

If you can't get a SIM after 10 minutes or so -- move on.

Read the questions carefully -- and all the answers. Then read the question again. Then choose your answer. Sometimes if you read the question quickly you'll miss something, and jump at an answer that's wrong (which makes me think the tests writers planned it that way since the "decoy answer" is usually near the top of the possible answers).

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Gogousa wrote:
    Good luck

This is definitely BAD advice. You can NOT go back to a previous question once you've moved on, so deliberate a question when it's in front of you because if you move on you can write that question off, you will not see it again.

My advice? Eat a decent light meal before the test (grilled chicken or a salad or something similar) and don't consume a lot of caffeine. Sleep well prior to the test (if it's not in the AM catch a quick nap prior to taking it). Wear something comfortable. There's no point in taking an expensive test in a business suit. You may look nice, but looking nice is not as important as passing the test. I always look like a bum when I take tests, even for college (but that's a part of the game, I think, hehe).

You're more than likely going to be given one or several laminated sheets of paper and a dry erase marker. Prior to taking the test you're given a 15-20 minute "pre-test" used to show you how the test works. I advise that you go to Cisco's website and under "careers/certification" review the bit about how to take the exam. By doing that, you can spend the valuable 15 minutes before the test writing factoids on your laminate sheet (just use the back if they only give you one, or request multiple from the get go). It's not cheating to brain **** useful information like CIDR numbering, routing protocol administrative distances, and other quick reference factoids you may need.

As I said, you can't go back to a question once you've moved past it, but don't let not knowing an answer get you down. Every question is weighted differently and some don't even count (they're there for testing purposes). If you feel anxious or flustered if you're blindsided by a question you don't know the answer to take several deep breaths and move on. The exam is only $100, and is re-takable any number of times, so worst case scenario you're out some money and maybe a little pride. It's not like you can't just re-take it later, however. I think of it this way. If the average CCIE candidate passes the lab after 3 attempts, I'm not going to beat myself up over failing a significantly cheaper exam.

Good luck and have fun.

Sorry, MY BAD, I got confused with another exams. Just watch the time limit.
  • Options
    Gogousa wrote:

Oh no problem, I wasn't calling you out or anything, I just wanted to make sure the OP knew that. Trust me, I wish you could flip between questions!
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Gogousa wrote:

Oh no problem, I wasn't calling you out or anything, I just wanted to make sure the OP knew that. Trust me, I wish you could flip between questions!

First, good luck on the exam today....

Secondly,

I wish you could go back on the CCNA as well! Back when I took the test (7 years ago), I failed by 7 points! 7!!!!

I know for a fact I got the very first question wrong! The minute I clicked next i wished I hadn't and it still haunts me to this day!

It was such an easy question for me but I wasn't thinking clearly and messed it up.... Maybe it was just test jitters (it was my first ever exam).... Given how many questions were on the exam, and the scale used to grade the exam at the time I would have to conclude that had I been able to go back and fix that question I probably would have passed.....

But, it is a learning experience, I learned that you cannot rush through any answer. That is the best advice I think i could give to anyone. Do not rush through any answer, no matter how easy the question looks to you... Always double check the answer.
  • Options
    Well, again thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone! I did no pass today and it was all due to being ill prepared. Having not touch any physical equipment in over a year definitely didn't help me at all. Also, I should probably have gone back and reread the Cisco Press books because there were a lot of things I had never even heard of on the exam. While I put the full brunt of failing on myself the one thing that through me off was how they jumped between very different topics. In essence when going through the TestOut software I should have just jumped around it probably would have worked out better. The other thing were there were quite a few WAN related questions on the exam, but not many subnetting (I recall 3). So here is the breakdown:

Passing Score: 849
    Your Score: 567

Planning and Designing: 33%
    Implementation and Operation: 42%
    Troubleshooting: 33%
    Technology: 38%

So I can at least say I was consistent :D

I have a lot going on with school so I probably won't look at anything Cisco related for a couple of months and even then I might go for the two test option instead. Any suggestion for books and software I should use? TestOut was alright, but it breezed over some topics. So Learnkey or CBT Nuggets? Thanks again!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    The Sybex CCNA book by Todd Lammle was pretty much all I used to pass both tests. I used dynamips to test and configure IOS and made my own flash cards. Grand total of study materials: $45 (got the book on sale at amazon). These forums are also a great resource.

How many hours are you taking in school? do you have a job? I work full time (40 a week) and go to school at a major state university full time as well, and find time to study Cisco too. If you really want to learn this stuff just push yourself to do it.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well at least you tried. But the CCNA is no slouch. The test and the test writers arn't going to let you skimp by on minimal knowledge of the subject like CompTIA will. You have to work for it and thats why everyone is so strict on NDA rules. Tend to school, and when school eases up a bit, hit the cisco books like everyday. Now you know what to expect and what topics to drill. From what I have learned about the test is that you have to master the main topics(STP,VLAN, routing protocols,WAN, subnetting, commands) or they will easily trick you and you won't have all the facts you need to answer those questions that require a lot of analytical skill(troubleshooting).

If you are going to do the two test route, then I would probably choose Cisco Press.
    It seems here at the forum, CBT is a more popular preparation tool. It's popularity is probably due to its effectiveness. I don't have any CCNA nuggets so I can't say from experience.

I am using Sybex delux and cross-referencing with press ICND. I can't wait untill I take the test, it's gonna be fun.

Anyways good try and better luck next time man! icon_thumright.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    tcp/udptcp/udp Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your score is not bad at all. At least you know what to expect and where to improve.
    I am taking my exam next week. My only major worry is time , and of course, the element of surprise because I haven't taken a Cisco exam before.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Give yourself a couple days off, then hit the books again. Give yourself plenty of time to study, you now have a glimpse as to what to expect. You will get it next time! Best of luck!
  • Options
    I've got a 18 credit summer term coming up and will be working full time this summer (again not an excuse). So when compared to the CCNA in cost I am going to stick with studies for my other course. Couldn't agree more with the differences between a Cisco exam and CompTIA exam. Non-vendor specific is definitely an advantage. I know Todd has a new version of his book coming out in August so I will probably wait till then to start dipping my feet in the CCNA water. I will say that what I liked about this test is that they actually want you to know your stuff. You can't cram for it and without some experience you will definitely get tripped up. As always you guys prove to be an awesome source of information and support.

tcp/udp - All I can say is don't be nervous when you take the exam. I was fine the night before, horrible in the morning (an hour or so before the test), and then fine when I sat down. It was perfect because they have a tutorial in the beginning which helped to put me at ease and also showed a test question format that I hadn't seen. Best of luck to ya!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote:
    I've got a 18 credit summer term coming up and will be working full time this summer (again not an excuse).
    Focus on your school work! ..... but if you are thinking of a networking career, it sure would be nice to have that CCNA and spend that work time getting some good networking experience too! :D

Just so you know.... school, experience and certifications -- in that order. If you are working to pay for schooling (and other things like shelter and food) -- then we'll easily forgive you if you're not getting hardcore networking experience right now at your current job.
  • Options
    lol Well, as of right now loans pay for school, but some of it comes from my pocket. I am a field tech for the local school district at the moment. Works out pretty well because I'm pretty much the only Windows tech that they have. Our high school is the only school (aside from Administration) that uses Windows. Every other level is Mac based! So while I took a pay cut to work there (I worked for an ISP making great money fulltime, but management sucked and it was going to effect my schooling) I am getting that much sought after Mac experience that many companies say is a plus in their job postings. Anyway, in a year I will be done and I am looking at the Navy and their newly developed CTN position. Figured I'd get the CCNA and maybe be ahead of the curve. Thanks again everyone!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is this CTN position?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Noe84Noe84 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't feel bad, although that score is pretty bad none the less. You really need to know these stuff. I failed twice going for CCNA, first time being 670, second time was a punch in the face failing by two points icon_rolleyes.gif .

Why not go for Network+? I took that exam right away after failing my CCNA and I passed it. It was pretty easy. But expensive. Well failing CCNA twice is also expensive icon_lol.gif
    On to MCSA 2003.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote:
    The other thing were there were quite a few WAN related questions on the exam, but not many subnetting (I recall 3).

My understanding is that the exam is adaptive... so if you get some subnetting correct and you get WAN wrong... its gonna start picking WAN questions for you.

Dont get discouraged... I HIGHLY recommend the Sybex book! It really really really is much better.
  • Options
    Paul#4Paul#4 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CCNA 6 years ago with 900+...

Took the ICND last week and barely passed 886...

The CCNA is no joke. You have to know your stuff. I was actually overly prepared but failed the SIM miserably(still not sure why, but it must have been me misinterpreting the question).

Cisco tests are quality exams that test practical knowledge. A lot of the questions have diagrams and you have to be able to interpret what is going on.
    Gimme gimme gimme
  • Options
    LOkrasa wrote:
    My understanding is that the exam is adaptive...
    No, it isn't. Since there is a large pool of questions, it can be luck of the draw.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13245
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hrm I'm writing mine in about 15 hours from now, studied for a bit more than 1 month. Maybe it's enough, I'll see.
  • Options
    Sepiraph wrote:
    Hrm I'm writing mine in about 15 hours from now
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif