Options

DDNS with alternate IP configuration

I´m working on The Beast for the moment and i am using the MsPress book, wich is really great.

But i encounter one problem when doing the practice exercices:

I am using vmware 6.
This is the exercise setup:
- Physically networked two computers
- Assigned Computer1 a static address of 192.168.0.1/25
- Assigned Computer2 an alternate configuration address of 192.168.0.2/24

I installed DNS, promote Computer1 to DC.

Now my problem is Computer2 dont create dynamically A and PTR records in DNS with this alternate config, also tried to reboot computer2,start-stop dhcp client service,ipconfig /registerdns.

When i set a static address to Computer2, it registers normally, it creates A and PTR records.

Did someone else encounters this problem?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The alternate configuration address only comes into play when you have set "Obtain an IP address automatically" for the General TCP/IP properties, and it cannot contact a DHCP server. It will then use the alternate configuration, but will also continue to try and contact a DHCP server every 5 minutes. It won't be used at all if you hard code an IP address for the main TCP/IP properties.

Statically configured (non-DHCP) clients register both the A and PTR RRs with the DNS server themselves. Otherwise, I believe there has to be an address event (new address or renewal) for the client to register with the DNS server. I don't think this happens with the alternate configuration address.

I am still trying to find out more about this, but meanwhile I suppose you have already made sure that the " Register this connection’s address in DNS" checkbox is selected in Advanced TCP/IP properties on the client.

Interesting question.... :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I suppose you have already made sure that the " Register this connection’s address in DNS" checkbox is selected in Advanced TCP/IP properties on the client.

You know, for this practice exercices, i read the exercise once and then try to do it without following the book.

So i thought maybe i forgot to do something (like the "register this connection", or allowing dynamic updates).

So i reinstalled 2 virtual machines and this time did all the exercices step by step, to be sure i forgot nothing, but i came out to the same point.

I´m half past the mspress book now and suppose they need this alternate config, to use as dhcp client afterwards.

So, or i do like in the book and must manually create A and PTR records, or i set a static address, i know its not a big deal, but found it confusing and interesting at the same time.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree. I was going to try setting an alternate ip on a laptop, then run a tcpdump while doing an ipconfig /registerdns but I got distracted and didn't complete the experiment. If I find something conclusive I'll post back.
    All things are possible, only believe.