Options

Example simulation for the INTRO test, plz?

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I think I'm up on my studying for the INTRO test Friday, but could someone give me an example of a simulation question for it? They can't be too complex for the INTRO test I would think, but perhaps I'm wrong. Also, someone who took the test told me that he didn't have any questions about OSPF nor EIGRP on it, including using wildcard masks. Is this correct for INTRO? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i'd look forward to wildcard mask since ACLs are covered.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We can't give you specifics. But most materials would say don't bother with ACLs/EIGRP/Wildcards for your Intro test. Save those for your ICND.

Tell you what...here's how I saw it when I decided I was ready to take the test.

Can you grab 3 2500/2600 routers. Clear out the configs, create and addressing scheme and connect a few hosts and get them all talking with RIP, IGRP and static routes? Find the DCE from the command line, password everythying and telnet/ping/trace around? Then you are probably ready for the Intro's simulations.

The sims from Cisco Press book's CDs are very good, if you don't already have those books, they are worth it for the sims alone.

What materials are you using?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Bob_the_GoonBob_the_Goon Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck for your test on Friday Tricon7. Everyone will be rooting for you.

I've also got a question of my own regarding the two exam track for CCNA which goes something like this:

Are the subjects covered under both exams strictly restricted to their respective exams or do they overlap? For instance, will wiring standards be covered on the ICND as well as the Intro?

Bob the Goon
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are the subjects covered under both exams strictly restricted to their respective exams or do they overlap?
    Mostly sort of yes, and yes.

The CCNA exam blueprints are vague enough in lots of areas that Cisco could put in almost any type of question... but they aren't that mean.

Wiring is an INTRO topic that you can find in the INTRO books, or the INTRO section of the CCNA books. So you could see wiring questions on the INTRO and CCNA exam.... but probably not on the ICND exam.

Yes -- there is overlap. In the Cisco CCNA Network Academy courses they almost exactly duplicated the TCP/IP module from the 1st semester again near the end of the 2nd semester. If you don't learn TCP/IP (and subnetting) you don't have much of a future in the networking world (other than maybe "racking and stacking").

If you get the Cisco Press CCNA Flash Cards, there are Reference Sheet PDF files on the CD (at least in the old days) for the INTRO and ICND material -- and when you compare those, there is a bunch of overlap.
    Tricon7 wrote:
    INTRO test Friday
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif

Use the blueprint link above to track down what Cisco "suggests" you know for INTRO.....

Look for the "action words" like use, determine, perform, establish, manipulate, etc that MIGHT indicate things that MIGHT be covered by a SIM type question.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck on Friday. You will be fine, review the blueprint and methodically work through the topics you arent super with, and review the ones you are strong on mind way through.

Cheers and goodluck!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    we cant give much details but just know subneting, and basic command stuff, dont get to frusted it while u doing it, i did the first time i took it and i fail cuz i spent like 15 min in da sim and i ran out of time, i made and 815 passing score was like 10 points away some like dat, but take ur time read the question and the anwears and u shouldnt have any problems
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • Options
    Speaking of the INTRO test, many say great things about Lammie's book Sybex. Since I'm only taking part I of the CCNA test, does anyone know if the book might be divided as to which sections would be applied to INTRO and which to the ICND? I only want to study info that'll actually be on this test. I know I could go through the official objectives and filter the book that way, but I thought someone might know offhand. Thanks.
  • Options
    I did the Cisco CCNA Network Academy.... and took the single CCNA exam..... but looking at 5th Edition.... know chapters 1-4 for sure for INTRO.

Not sure where Chapter 5 (Routing) comes in..... (since you don't want to look at the INTRO Blueprint, why should I? )
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    I did the Cisco CCNA Network Academy.... and took the single CCNA exam..... but looking at 5th Edition.... know chapters 1-4 for sure for INTRO.

Not sure where Chapter 5 (Routing) comes in..... (since you don't want to look at the INTRO Blueprint, why should I? )

Good grief, it was just a question. I study very hard, I hardly ever see my wife and two children while I work a FT job and go to school PT, then study at the library on the side. My motto is "pain now - reward later" so I can get through it. If I can save time, I usually go in that direction, simply because I have so little of it. I am not a lazy person.
  • Options
    Tricon7 wrote:
    My motto is "pain now - reward later" so I can get through it. If I can save time, I usually go in that direction, simply because I have so little of it.
    I'm studying for the CCIE Security Lab Exam.... so I know about pain... time.... and lack of sleep icon_lol.gif The Network Admission Control books (that aren't on the CCIE Security Reading list) look so small and innocent....

So if someone can either confirm or deny any other additional chapters in Todd's book.... feel free to chime in. If someone has taken INTRO and "found chapter 5 useful" or "wish I hadn't spent that time studying it" feel free to comment. No "exam" (unless it's "exam blueprint") or "question" references.... but any life experience about the blueprints or books (but section or paragraph references MAY be pushing it) are fair game.
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    Good luck on Friday. You will be fine, review the blueprint and methodically work through the topics you arent super with, and review the ones you are strong on mind way through.

Cheers and goodluck!

Thanks for the good advice, Pash. With all the jitters, it's nice to hear, "You will be fine..."! I hope I have good news to report later. Cheers.
  • Options
    We're not playing Jeapordy here.

Stop posting a couple of cammands and the "hint" they are good to know for the SIM

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought they were playing Cisco Charades...Hmm wierd icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    The "correct answer" has already been posted.
    Daniel333 wrote:
    We can't give you specifics.

And "good advice" -- without the commands that earned the wrath of icon_mike.gif (and the name removed to protect the "well meaning")
    Make sure you know your debugging and show commands ......, etc.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tricon7 wrote:
    Pash wrote:

Cheers and goodluck!

Thanks for the good advice, Pash. With all the jitters, it's nice to hear, "You will be fine..."! I hope I have good news to report later. Cheers.

Nps buddy. But I think mike was just trying to tell you that reviewing the exam blueprints should be a priority before taking any exam from any vendor. I admit myself that I like to pick people's brains ...more than I probably should....but I always insist on checking the exam blueprints before taking an exam.

Much good luck mate but i bet youll do well.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Tricon7 wrote:
    I think I'm up on my studying for the INTRO test Friday, but could someone give me an example of a simulation question for it? They can't be too complex for the INTRO test I would think, but perhaps I'm wrong. Also, someone who took the test told me that he didn't have any questions about OSPF nor EIGRP on it, including using wildcard masks. Is this correct for INTRO? Thanks for the help.

Tricon7,

An example of a simulation question can be seen at the CCNA Prep Center located at http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main . Register and login if you've never been there before. Once logged in, click the |Exam Study| tab. Then in the center section, under the title "Practice Taking Exams", click the _Exam Interface Tutorial_. You should see under "Task 5: Router Simulation" of how a simulation question is asked and how to answer the question. There are also other authorized practice exam questions from Cisco themselves in the CCNA Prep Center.

What I used to help me prepare for the simulations were to do the "Lab Activity" listed as an "e-Lab Activity" in the Cisco Networking Academy Program (CNAP) curriculum online at http://cisco.netacad.net . You should still have access to the CNAP curriculum for Semester 1 and Semester 2 since I believe that you're currently a Semester 3 student. Any of them may be fair game so be proficient in all of them to maximize your chances of success. See if you could schedule some more time with the Cisco Networking Academy equipment to get more actual hands-on practice.

As far as complexity, the exam will be sufficiently complex to determine if you understand the Exam Topics as listed on the 640-821 INTRO exam webpage at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-821.html .

Since I've never taken the 640-821 INTRO exam, not only can I not confirm nor deny the statement made by the someone you know, but due to the Cisco Career Certification and Confidentiality Agreement that exists between Cisco Systems and myself, I still wouldn't be able to confirm nor deny the statement. You will have to accept the Confidentiality Agreement in order to take the 640-821 INTRO exam or else you will not be permitted to take the exam. You can preview the Confidentiality Agreement at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/downloads/guest/learning/c644/ccmigration_09186a00801f7961.pdf .

I'm not sure if your registered with Prometric or VUE, but I do know that with Prometric, as long as it's more than 24 hours from now to the exam registration schedule date and time, you can reschedule the exam to a later date and time at http://www.prometric.com . You're locked into your exam registration if it's 24 hours or less between now and your exam registration date and time. So you will have to make a decision tonight to reschedule or go for it on Friday. Whatever your decision, good luck.