Options

Should I stick with it?

So, some of you may have noticed that I just started my first full-time job last week. It has been going pretty good, until now. I am faced with a very difficult decision. I have already noticed several problems that drive me mad.
  1. During the summer, I have practically nothing to do. The teachers are not in the building on a regular basis. Therefore, almost no trouble tickets emerge. It has already become incredibly boring. It's a good opportunity for me to finish my Net+, CCNA, and Security+ certificates, however. So, this isn't necessarily a big deal.
  2. The other tech that I am working with seems awfully care-free. Too much, in fact. He treats this as just a job. He doesn't seem to care about actually helping people.
  3. This is the biggest problem. During the summer, we have two interns that are supposed to clean the computers on-campus and complete other projects we have, such as setting up new computers. The problem is, we have to keep them on a leash, because they're not self-motivated at all and they slack off. On top of that, this is going to be a slow summer, since the only major project probably won't take more than a few weeks. Which means, more babysitting and more of those two loafing in our already tiny office. Yes, you could argue that I only have to deal with these people for a few months, BUT I'll have to go through the same crap next summer. I was happy to quit my last job, because all I did was babysit co-workers and lab users.
I quit my job because I felt it was time to move on. I wanted a more professional job experience, yet I feel like I've actually taken a step back. Ugh...

What would you do if you were me? Find something else and quit, or suffer through it?
"Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
- Homer Simpson

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would ride the wave out (so to speak) like you say you could get sum valuable study time in whilst you get paid. you say youve only recently changed jobs - im a true believer that it doesnt look good on your cv if you jump ship every few month or so.

so overall i would stay, tell them useless kids to get there arse in gear, get some study time whilst getting paid, get those certs you want, stay on until you find your next step up. besides it mite not be as easy as to just say oh ill get a new job cos you dont know how the market is at that time.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    I agree with nel. Suck it up and stick it out. You can't beat gettin paid to learn. I know how boring things can get, trust me, but the experience and the certs you obtain are goin to look great on a resume.

I love IT but ultimately it's about makin that paper. Stick it out, make some cake, and look for a better job.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    GrymGrym Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be proactive, find things to do, drag to two monkeys around with you, teach them something.

Even with a network that isn't being overally utilized there is always something to do....

Also doesn't your school district have summer school? That should help a bit....

Plus I work in a call center with 1000+ seats, I get about 3-5 good hours of studying done in a normal day, we have things running so smoothly our ticket queue pretty much stays empty.....we go on daily walks just making sure everything is ok and our customer isn't having any issues...

Stick it out, make the network yours.
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Well, I have decided to stick it out, at least for a bit. I just wanted to add something, tho.

I am the new guy. My coworker and these male bimbos have worked together at least one summer before. Not only that, but these two guys are definately more technically inclined than I am. The only thing holding them back from having my job is their age and immaturity. I feel like the kiddie in all this, which doesn't help my self esteem, either. So, obviously I have nothing to teach them, let alone an actual willingness to be around the two apes.

I don't believe there will be summer school at my campus, so things will remain dull.

I guess I'll just have to find a way to ignore their laziness and lack of pride... icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif

Thanks everyone. :D
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson