Options

Switch power issue?

kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
Guys,

I was told by some of my aspiring CCNA friends that maybe i should seek your assistance. I bought a 2924 XL switch for my home CCNA lab. It's having some problems. One you plug it in it seems to lose power off and on. In fact it doesn't even poweron long enough to get to a log in screen. It seems according to the info being displayed that it's passing all of the POST requirments and nothing seem sto have problems. When it eventually dies out sort of how it is now..all the lines just continue to flash until i finally un-plug it. I've tried many different power sources but still no dice. I was hoping someone could help me out or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need to try the boot a few times..... and watch the lights

Understanding POST Results
    As each test runs, the port status LEDs turn off, starting with number 1x. The port status LEDs for ports 2x to 8x each turn off in turn as the system completes a test.

If it reboots randomly at different points in the post I'd start to suspect the power supply.

If it always fails at the same port led during post (and then reboots) -- I'd suspect that component.

If it makes it through all 8 port led -- you you make it sound like it does -- then I'd go back to the power supply or corrupt software. Try replacing the IOS (if it lets you) .... if not, then I'd swap power supplys with a working one (that you already have in another switch hopefully) before I hunted for a replacement on eBay.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    Thanks, I appreciate this.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds exactly like a classic power supply failure.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/