Options

Move from crap job to tech job?

richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm working at a bank doing some **** job (not literally), and I'm wondering if anyone has some tips about going after getting moved to a tech job (banks need computer people, right? o_O). I've only been working the job for almost a month.

I'm thinking about taking the new A+ exam in a few weeks.. around June 20th I think I'll be ready. That will be my first certification, and I don't have any experience. I plan on taking Network+ as soon as I can, but I haven't really looked at it to see how hard it is so I don't know how long it'll take me. I had a year of training preparing me for the CCNA cert, so I'm hoping Network+ will be fairly easy.

The bank is opening up a new "center" (we'll call it that) in another city, so I'm hoping I can get a job in that place.

Basically, this is my first job ever (got by with online businesses until now).. so don't assume I know something that seems obvious :P.

Loving this site, BTW. So glad I found this before I took the A+ test. I hope this is the kind of stuff I'm allowed to ask here =].

Comments

• Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    i can see you working for the call center, alot of those jobs go through staffing companies. As for taking care and servicing of the branch POS systems. They definitly have an outside vendor doing that; look for the sticker on the tower or monitor. Definitly speak to someone though about call center opportunities
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Million dollar question for you :D Do you like technical jobs?

If you're not sure, first do some reading, e.g. read a few topics on the TCP/IP protocol, Unix administration, security and a bit of programming. Give yourself a couple of days, then you will have a real feeling if you wanna be in a technical area.

I know so many people who after taking some certifications have got bored with the field and left IT. Time is precious, so ensure what you study is what you like :)
  • Options
    richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been glued to the computer screen from an early age. I fix EVERYONES computer.. family computers, friends, friends parents, friends parents friends, friends parents cousins, MY cousins ><, my aunts.. occasionally mine. If working on a 50'ish computers for free hasn't gotten me sick of being a tech, I'm sure getting paid to won't change my mind :P. I have tried to get into building & selling gaming computers, with mixed results. Takes money to make money.. =/

I did a year of CCNA training.. but it was more like general networking. The basics, types of networks, protocols, that stuff about layers (application layer and the others).. I didn't stop because it was too hard.

I've pissed around with programming, I seem to suck at it though. I can make websites, integrate scripts, PHP stuff and make changes in the HTML view in FrontPage, but can't seem to get the hang of programming. Visual Basic 8 course put an end to my programming career a few pages after the "Hello World!" button.

What kind of high level (high paying) jobs are people shooting for?

Seems like the IT world is small.. programming, networking and support.. and maybe things like database dudes, project coordinators. So to not program, and not work directly with idiots (call centers), I'd go into networking?

I do plan on getting Network+, some Microsoft certifications (need to ready more about those, kind of confused about those), eventually CCNA and a CS degree.

Edit: Stupid italicized thing.