Windows Multiple connections error

tweakingittweakingit Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am getting this error when I try to map a drive or "run as" any user.

"Multiple Connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more that one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

This is in a Y2k3 and XP VMware env.

Any ideas on correcting this, I have googled and return with nothing.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try to run a net use * /delete and re-establish the maps.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • tweakingittweakingit Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry about that, i should have been abit more clear.

I am trying to map a drive to a secure folder on "server1" with "userA" permissions. While another more restricted "userB" is loged in to the client PC. "userB" does not have permissions to access the folder on "server1."

This message also comes up when I use the "run as" CMD.

any ideas?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've run into that on occasion, but it was never a problem to log off the user and back on as an admin so I never bothered to see if there was a work around.

Try mapping a drive from the My Computer>Tools>Map Network Drive, "connect using a different user name" works.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Have you checked what royal said?

Have you run net use to see what you are connected to?

Have you tried running any application as the the other user? IE? Notepad? etc?

(Note: If you hold shift down when you right click you will get run as in the context menu for more programs / files)

[Edit - SP]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sie wrote:

[Edit - SP]

I have run into this before - it's got to do with authentication and not current connections, despite the error message. Not sure exactly why - it might be in the user rights assignments rather than access controls, but agian I'm not sure.

I've tried the net use * /delete and it doesn't help. The problem is JoeBlow is logged in and doesn't have rights to a share. AndyAdmin is sitting at the console under JoeBlow's login credentials and wants to access a share restricted to Admins, so he tries to connect, only to receive the error that he described above. At least that is what I have run into.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Try mapping a drive from the My Computer>Tools>Map Network Drive, "connect using a different user name" works.

When i do this or run it from the tools menu in explorer I get the error.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Sie wrote:
    I've tried the net use * /delete and it doesn't help. The problem is JoeBlow is logged in and doesn't have rights to a share. AndyAdmin is sitting at the console under JoeBlow's login credentials and wants to access a share restricted to Admins, so he tries to connect, only to receive the error that he described above. At least that is what I have run into.

This is exacly whats happening.
    Sie wrote:

Have you tried running any application as the the other user? IE? Notepad? etc?

(Note: If you hold shift down when you right click you will get run as in the context menu for more programs / files)

[Edit - SP]

it doesnt seem to matter what application i use all does the same thing.
    what i did find is that i can "run as" local admin.