Options

load balanacing..

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
With windows xp and server 2003..

basically i have thse 2 boxes. one running windows xp pro and the other server 2003 enterprise. Each computer has 2 NICs. i'm wondering if its possible to setup some sort of load balancing for them? I'm trying to transfer around 16-20gigs of files between the two, and if i could put all 4 NICs to use that'd likely speed it up a good bit, but i'm not really sure how to go about doing it. any suggestions? google search and search here came up with nothing. According to the lights on my router, its only transfering out of 1 nic on each computer...
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    load balacing is generaly used inconjuction with HA. What you are trying to accomplish is create a fat pipe. So to accomplish that task you will need to create NIC teams.

HP and IBM servers are really good at this. There is a software appilcation that allows 2 or more nics to be teamed. There may be some software out there that can do this. Check with the nic manufactuer for the software.

I am not sure if it will work, but here is an alternative idea. You could try and create an etherchannel on the ports your nics connect to. But you have to think about layer 2 and layer 3.

if you try this let us know how it turns out. I am curious to know if that will work or not?

hth!!
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    since i have to get ready for work, i'll probably worry about this tonight.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685