Server+ or Net+?

MercJMercJ Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Been a long time since I did my A+ ....is Server+ the next best cert to take?

My options are N+ or Security+.....Just want to get back as to whats new out there since its been a long time.

Thanks

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Server+ is not as well know as Network+ and I think it is more difficult than Net+. If I had to do it all over again I would probably take Server+ instead just because not that many people take it. Most people take Net+ though so in the end it is up to you. If you like to work on Servers then take Server+ if you like to work with Networks then take Network+. Both A+/Server+ and A+/Net+ count toward an elective for MCSA 2003. And of course you could always do both if you wanted. I hope that helps.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • MercJMercJ Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I appreciate it....Im planning of doing both but i have to choose which one i'll do first.
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    my recomandation would be net plus...in some topic is related to server+, not all, but ill would help u with the logic of the test, to me the hardest of the comptiatest is been the server+, then again i only studied for like 3 weeks, but thats a good cert to have
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree that I would do the Network+. It's more recognized in the industry as well as gives you a good foundational knowledge of networking which will help you out in your studies for higher-level networking certifications. Of course there's always the option to do both.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Thanks again.....Any suggestions on what N+ book/material is good and comprehensive?
  • Bob KiwiBob Kiwi Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll agree with the conclusion that Net+ is a better choice before/in place of Server+. My company seems to think one should go A+, Net+, Security+, then Server+.

In terms of materials, all I used for Net+ was Mike Meyers Passport book and some online tests- but that's only if you are comfortable with networking. I'd definitely study up on the obscure Novell stuff
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    MercJ wrote:
    Thanks again.....Any suggestions on what N+ book/material is good and comprehensive?

http://www.techexams.net/technotes.php

Check out the 'gift' PDF listed under the NET+ section near the top ;)
    Thanks go to Webmaster if you like them...pretty certain you will find them helpful :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Thanks again and hopefully I get a chance to finish mine this august.