Options

Seeking advices: What's next after CCNA?

SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
After just passed CCNA, I was considering what certificate I should do next (beside getting a full-time job in IT, well I send out some resumes so hopefully wont be too long ~_~).

I was looking at the Cisco career path:
Certification Paths Associate / Professional / Expert (CCIE)
Routing & Switching: CCNA / CCNP / CCIE Routing & Switching
Design CCNA & CCDA / CCDP / None
Network Security CCNA / CCSP / CCIE Security
Service Provider CCNA / CCIP / CCIE Service Provider
Storage Networking CCNA / none / CCIE Storage Networking
Voice CCNA / CCVP / CCIE Voice

From what I've read, it seems like CCNP is the most common choice. I was wondering what people did after getting their CCNA. Also should I consider doing something like A+ or CCDA?

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just went for my first true "IT" interview, for an Entry level computer technician for a city near here. Basically the requirement on the web was an associates degree and A+, which I have. But once in the interview the expectation was A+,CCNA and MCSA. I don't know if this is stereotypical of entry level jobs. But in my current job, in order to move up to out lan operations from help desk, they want MCSA and CCNA too, or just MCSE, and both with a BA (they laughed and actually told me not too waste my time on Comptia tests anymore)

So my next move is going to be MCSA.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The choices are really more up to you and what you want to do. If you're interested in network engineering, I'd say stick to the Cisco track, maybe go for CCNP. If you're interested in exploring other venues, then maybe you should look at the various Microsoft certs available. If you have an interest in Unix or Linux, the LPI and Sun Solaris certifications are good choices. The CompTIA certifications are a good way of getting your feet wet, especially if you're unsure of where you want to go. A lot of people tend to precursor higher-level certs with a corresponding CompTIA test. Usually, a lot of people will do A+ before their MCSE, (that's going to become MCITP in the near future,) they'll do Network+ before going down the Cisco paths, or do Linux+ before doing LPIC, SCSA, or RHCE. Of course, since you've already finished CCNA, you may not have an interest in doing Network+, (still, it could be a breeze to study for). However, if you have an interest in Windows or Unix/Linux administration, the other two may be a good way to go, if you're not ready to commit to a multiple-exam certification.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If after the CCNA you're still interested in a Cisco career track, you should probably aim for the CCNP. The CCDA used to be a wise choice but it's now suggested that you have a working CCNP knowledge level prior to attempting the CCDA / CCDP series of exams. The CCNP is a great base for branching out into whatever specialty field of Cisco training you'd like to pursue. It touches (in depth mind you) most of the technologies you'll see in the networking field right now.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, I will do the CCNP in about 1 month since it does seem like the most logical choice. A lot of what you guys said pretty much resonated which my thoughts. I actually already started to read about the A+ material yesterday, it is fairly basic but still nice to review and doesn't take much time at all. I think a lot of what I'll end up doing will depend strongly on what type of job I end up getting. Ideally in the longer term, I want to work in designing large-scale network and implementing new technology (although in a corporate environment I'm not sure if that's realistic, maybe possibly start-up). I have a fairly strong computer science theoretical background (e.g. things like Turing machine, von Neumann architecture, even did my thesis on implementing quantum computer) but I know all that really doesn't matter much in the IT world.