a DNS question - just to clear things up to me

tomeryaultomeryaul Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
ok i think i generally got what each thing in the DNS does... but i keep confusing forwarding with stub with delegation and with secondary. so i decided to type here in very simple terms what is my understanding about what each does and i am hoping someone here would tell me if i am correct or not.

STUB zone:
tells computers to look for querys directly in a different location

PRIMARY zone:
the first or main zone, Read and write

SECONDERY zone:
A copy DNS zone, Read only, Answers querys itslef

FORWARDERS:
takes the querys and asks on behalf of the clients for the answer in another DNS server

Conditional forwarding:
take querys and ask on behalf of the clints to a specific location/s that has DNS server

DELEGATION:
makes a sub DNS act as a main authoritative DNS for a specific inner zone

please help me sort it out in my head cause i keep getting confused when trying to practice questions.
are the things i am saying here correct or not?

edit:
btw i wonder why everybody called 70-291 exam "the beast" lol cause persoanly i think there are a lot harder exams out there concerning networking or related to MCSE lol.

Comments

• elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    hey buddy......the following info should help you.

1.Stub zone: References (Points) to name server NS in a different zone, has the advantage of dynamically updating information in Parent Zone if there's any changes in the remote zone (eg new servers being added in remote zone).

2. Primary Zone: Is like you said the main DNS zone in a domain (Read, Write).

3. Secondary Zone: Is a copy of the Primary zone defined above(Read only) and is usualy update itself through Zone transfer, which you'll have to configure on the primary zone.

4.Forwarders: Forwards request to dns Server outside of your primary zone, in this case the it's the Dns server that actually request the information not the client unlike the case of a stub zone in which the clients actually queries the NS.

5. Delegation: Delegates Zone Administrative duties to a remote dns server, which means also that the remote dns server is now responsible for it's own Domain.

hope this was helpfull to you cheers

Ooh it's called the Beast because of it appears to be the most challenging of the ms exams (or 1 of).
    stonecold26.jpg
  • tomeryaultomeryaul Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so with a forwarder it actually takes the recrusive querys from the clients and asks a recrusive query from another DNS server in an outside zone... then the information goes back to the forwarding DNS server and through it to the clint as if he answered it himself... lol i hope i got it right this time
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tomeryaul wrote:
    so with a forwarder it actually takes the recrusive querys from the clients and asks a recrusive query from another DNS server in an outside zone... then the information goes back to the forwarding DNS server and through it to the clint as if he answered it himself... lol i hope i got it right this time

Almost but not quite. It does indeed take the recursive query from the client. It then does an iterative query to the forwarding dns server. If it did a recursive query, it'd say it wants the forwarding dns server to do recursion, which it doesn't. It asks the forwarding dns server if it knows, if it doesn't, then the dns server who was initially contacted will then go through the list of other forwarding servers to contact. Once the list of forwarding servers has been exhausted, the dns server will perform recursion if enabled.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks