Options

A kid who has CCNA

digorhamadigorhama Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
my roomie asked me how to hook up a PS2 to the internet and he has his CCNA and CCNP. icon_lol.gif
CCNA, here i come

Comments

• Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    How do you hook a PS2 to the Internet?

I didn't know PS2 was a covered topic for the CCNA and CCNP.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I think he is getting at the idea that someone who has a CCNA or NP, should have more of a technical understanding of electronics. I would tend to agree, when I think of a Cisco certified individual I think of someone who is not only good with routers and switches but with electronics/computers in general. You know what they say about assuming!

:D
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know either, never was much of a gamer. But I'm sure I could figure it out.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1) You install the "Network Adapter" add-on if your PS2 doesn't have one.
    2) You plug an Ethernet cable into the PS2.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    WOW! that was intense! icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    Netstudent wrote:
    I don't know either, never was much of a gamer. But I'm sure I could figure it out.
    Same, at least not with console games. I'm sure it's not hard to figure out. My guess is that the room mate simply asked to keep from having to figure it out himself. Maybe he didn't know whether or not you need an extra adapter. Maybe he was wondering if a DHCP server on the network was needed or if you can statically assign IP addresses.

I think it's in error to assume that a CCNA/CCNP knows instantly by training how to configure every network capable device in the world.

If the guy truly can't figure out this rudimentary task, though then there's something wrong. My own assumption is that he simply wanted to take the easy road and ask someone who already knew.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    I don't blame your room mate. Thers nothing on a CCNA test which asks on how to hook up a PSP. It is not part of his daily job. A CCNA and a CCNP are router and switch professional not a PS2 expert. My uncle has a CCIE in routing and switching but he always calls me when he has problems with his PC. This guy can configure routers and switches and knows almost everything about a cisco router and a switch. He is a Senior Engineer for an ISP.

Hooking up a PS2 and having a CCNA are two different things. A cisco test will never ask you about a PS2
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "PS2 Expert"???

I would hardly call the plugging in of a network cable expert-level knowledge.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    Thats what I STRONGLY DISLIKE about end users. They think that just because you are the IT guy that you should know every single fact, know every single little possible bit of meaningless information about a computer, and know every sinlge solution to every problem. Especially the old people. Sometimes I just want to say, "Well then do it yourself moth balls"... icon_lol.gif
    But I would never be rude like that.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a lot of cases you will find its not what you know, its who you know.So i think your roomie did a perfect job,he asked someone in the know rather than reinventing the wheel.A true ccnp in my book.By the way whats a PS2 icon_eek.gif
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    EdTheLad wrote:
    In a lot of cases you will find its not what you know, its who you know.So i think your roomie did a perfect job,he asked someone in the know rather than reinventing the wheel.A true ccnp in my book.By the way whats a PS2 icon_eek.gif

PS2 = Playstation 2
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    ohhhhhhh.I thought yall were talking about a mouse.. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    people who arent fully technically saavy are the gears that keep the wheels turning. If everyone knew every possible technical nuance about computers or otherwise, the IT field would be about 1/20th what it is now. Whenever people apologize for not being technically saavy, I remind them that if everyone knew everything about what I support already, I would be out of a job icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
    c'mon but with all that experience he's able to figure it out!!!

in my opinion, he just was trying to build a conversation with his rommie :P

Cheers people

...so pleased to be back again!!!
  • Options
    c'mon but with all that experience he's able to figure it out!!!

exactly!

he passed CCNA, which is about 1/4 -1/3 basis networking knowledge, and he can't figure out what kind of cable goes into a port, now come on guys.

what is this kid going to do when he gets into a server room and can't figure out where the ethernet cables go on a switch or into a server? icon_eek.gif
    CCNA, here i come
  • Options
    I'm sure we can all assume that the guy could have figured it out. Thats like asking a mathmatician to add 2 plus 2.

He probably just wasn't familier with the console and didn't want to have to waste the time to figure it out. Especially when you have someone with you that already knows.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Netstudent wrote:
    I'm sure we can all assume that the guy could have figured it out. Thats like asking a mathmatician to add 2 plus 2.

He probably just wasn't familier with the console and didn't want to have to waste the time to figure it out. Especially when you have someone with you that already knows.

Exactly so why make fun of someone for simply asking, he didn't want to take away from his game playing time...IMO he was confiding in a fellow techie :D
  • Options
    michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Does he have a photographic memory or dis he have someone take the test for him. He better have an advantage cause Cisco is killing me! I won't even reado some stupid book for my pre-marriage counseling because I feel that if I'm reading something it needs to be cisco LOL I can't remember the last time I read the newspaper in print
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:

all he does is sit around and play ps2 all day. i never played ps2 in my life but i'm sure if i looked at the port i could tell you how to hook it up
    CCNA, here i come
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would seriously hope that someone who sits around playing PS2 all day and has the working knowledge of a CCNP has the ability to put two and two together to get online.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    well now, last i checked (okay i've never checked but anyway) PS2's don't come with the network adapter? mine didn't.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Noe84Noe84 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    On to MCSA 2003.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i wouldn't let your roomie near anything electronic at that rate.. either he's lazy or just managed to be great on paper
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons