Options

Help with a Transcender question...

ramjet666ramjet666 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
This Transender question has me confused:

What are the two characteristics of segmenting a LAN using switches? (choose two)

1. Each segment has its own broadcasting domain

2. Each segment has its own collision domain

3. The entire network has a single collision domain

4. The entire network has a single broadcast domain

I answered 1 and 4, 1 is wrong and 4 is right. 2 and 4 are the right answers.

I thought the effect of switches is to create collision domains for each port as frames are only destined for the appropriate port per MAC table?

How does each segment have its own collision domain?

Comments

• Options
    gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
    swithces separate collision domains, therefore each port or segment on a swith has its own collision domain but there are still part of the same broadcast domain.
    ‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
    you'll never get it done"
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just about every single practice test out there will have a question like this one. I guess that means that everyone taking the CCNA should pay close attention to this type of question.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your router seperates the broadcast domains.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    dont routers separte broadcast, and collision domains
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes they do..But if you had a switch connected to a router, the link between the swtch and the router would only be 1 collision domain. There could be more, depending on if anything else is conected to the switch.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ramjet666ramjet666 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gaby_978 wrote:
    swithces separate collision domains, therefore each port or segment on a swith has its own collision domain but there are still part of the same broadcast domain.

So each port = 1 segment, so if you had a 24 port switch and 24 pc's plugged in this is seen as 24 collision domains and 1 broadcast domain.

I think whats confusing me is the clasification of a segment! I was thinking it was the pc's and switch were a segment.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    ramjet666 wrote:
    gaby_978 wrote:

So each port = 1 segment, so if you had a 24 port switch and 24 pc's plugged in this is seen as 24 collision domains and 1 broadcast domain.

That is correct.