MX setup help

ok guys i just setup a exchange server im able to send e-mails but i cannot recieve i was thinking that the issues was the dns mx setup, if some one can give me some advice>>>
If you stop getting better, you cease being good

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need an A record for the Exchange server and an MX record for the email domain. So if the server is named Exchange1 and the domain is foobar.net (so your email might be ilcram19@foobar.net) then you would have an A record like 10.0.10.10 for exchange1.foobar.net and an MX record would look something like this:

foobar.net MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = Exchange1.foobar.net
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In addition to what Mark stated, I usually create a new A record in addition to Exchange's normal A record named something like mail. Give it the same name you'll be usually using to connect to it from the outside or whatever. So let's say you're going to want to connect to OWA using mail.domain.com. You will create a new A record named mail that points to the ip of the exchange server. You'll then create the MX record that points to the mail server. You'll then go on the Exchange server and configure it so when it responds to EHLO/HELO, it'll respond as mail.domain.com instead of its' actual computer name.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    thaks guys that worked just fine...thanks for da help
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is also worth noting that in addition to royal's and sprkymrk's method, you could also use a cname record in DNS to point to the mail server. So if your exchange server's FQDN is exchange.domain.com and it's A record is registered in DNS as such. If you wanted to connect to that Server as mail.domain.com, then you would create a new cname record, name it mail and point it to exchange.domain.com. You would then create your mx record to point to exchange.domain.com but still connect to it as mail.domain.com.