confused

rjb37rjb37 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Quickie: Is there some way (which I obviously can not see) of discernig between a question about WINXP folder compression and NTFS folder compression? I have come across several practice questions where I just can not determine which one the question is asking. e.g. I had this problem with the tech notes practice question concering this.

2nd quickie: If you move a compressed file from one disk C: to another uncompressed disk d: the status of the file is uncompressed. (The question stated it is still compressed) I can not find any instance supporting this. My understanding is moving a file within the same volume, the file retains its state, otherwise it is dependent upon the target destination.

3rd quickie: WINXP compressed folders (NOT NTFS) 1. can be encrypted 2. If moved, renamed, or copied, will lose thier compression. I have not been very sucessful finding anything substantial (in writing) that lists the properties of WINXP compressed folders in any detail. I have found few paragraphs here and there, but nothing that really explains in any detail.

Last quickie: Share and NTFS file permissions. Am I correct in assuming that if you access a file locally that you can ignore the Share permissions because you not accessing it over the network? Most questions I see on this don't address this at all and to me at least, this compounds the already convoluted state of trying to determine just what the actual permissions are. It makes a difference when answering the question.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rjb37 wrote:
    2nd quickie: If you move a compressed file from one disk C: to another uncompressed disk d: the status of the file is uncompressed. (The question stated it is still compressed) I can not find any instance supporting this. My understanding is moving a file within the same volume, the file retains its state, otherwise it is dependent upon the target destination.
    The key word there is that you moved it form one DISK to another DISK. In this case that's two different volumes (C and D). In W9x and NT it was easier, everything was either a partition or a disk. The term volume can be confusing.

Here is Volume defined in the XP Help and Support Glossary:
    volume
    An area of storage on a hard disk. A volume is formatted by using a file system, such as FAT or NTFS, and has a drive letter assigned to it. You can view the contents of a volume by clicking its icon in Windows Explorer or in My Computer. A single hard disk can have multiple volumes, and volumes can also span multiple disks.

rjb37 wrote:
    Last quickie: Share and NTFS file permissions. Am I correct in assuming that if you access a file locally that you can ignore the Share permissions because you not accessing it over the network? Most questions I see on this don't address this at all and to me at least, this compounds the already convoluted state of trying to determine just what the actual permissions are. It makes a difference when answering the question.
    You are correct. The question may try to trip you up by listing all the share permissions, and then ask you what your access is when log onto the server at the console. In the case of accessing the share locally, you can ignore the share permissions.
    All things are possible, only believe.