Vista troubleshooting question

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
This is kind of embarrassing... Maybe I'm missing something simple here, please let me know.

So, a friend of mine was having problems with their computer... They just got a new PC a couple months ago and got a copy of Vista Home Premium on it. I have not had much opportunity to play with Vista yet, so it's still a little foreign to me.

Anyway, the problem was that they could not connect to the internet anymore... They called Comcast (Cable ISP) and Microsoft but couldn't get it working.

I went over there and every time I tried to go to any internet properties I was getting an error with dhcpcsvc6.dll.

I was able to get into internet explorer properties through Security Settings under control panel. Afterward, I changed the connection settings which were set to go through a VPN (which is what I suspect was causing the issue with the Dhcpcsvc6.dll).

So, I still was unable to connect to any website! I went into command prompt and could ping yahoo.com and other sites with no problem. So, I put in an IP address for Google in the explorer address bar and magically I was on the internet!

Only, problem is that any links to other websites obviously would not work..... So, I flushed the DNS, I checked the HOSTS file and checked IPconfig to see if they were getting DNS servers from Comcast. I also checked the firewall.

Everything looked good, but for some reason the computer was unable resolve and names!
Am I just over thinking this and missing some small simple step?

Anyway, I also forgot to grab my jumpstick with all my tech tools, so I didnt, really spend any time running antimalware scans.

Anyway, that is the current problem.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definately a DNS problem. Was the DNS information correct? Could there be a typo or was it auto configured? Could you connect to the IP address of the dns server using telnet to port 53? You should get a blinking cursor with no text. If you cannot connect that way there is a problem with the DNS server. Either an incorrect address or something blocking the requests, or the server could be down.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you try doing a repair on the Network connection or and IPCONFIG /release and then renew? Is this problem happening after you wake the computer from standby? Have you done and IPCONFIG /all to see if everything is correct there? This probably doesn't have anything to do with the problem since it sounds like a DNS issue but I did a google search on "dhcpcsvc6.dll" and this is what I found.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933872
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I did not try to telnet to the DNS but I did try entering the DNS server IPs in as a static setup.

I did forget to mention that my friend does have another PC that is connected through the same router. The other PC has no trouble and has the same DNS server information.

I did also try IPCONFIG /release /renew

Sorry I forgot to mention those things

sthomas, I did see that article and another one dealing with the dhcpcsvc6.dll file on the knowledge base. I didn't get a chance to try the fixes recommended by MS yet.

Seems like that error went away after i got rid of the VPN connection setting.... But there may be more to it.

I will see if my friend has time for me to come by later today and continue looking into it. I might have to try the fix on the MS link.

Great suggestions so far! Thanks guys!

By the way, on a side note.... I am beyond frustrated with Vista! Why did they have to rename and move so many things! Arggggghhh! I now know that I need to buy a copy for one of my home computers so I can sit down and become familiar with it.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Side note.... I am beyond frustrated with Vista! Why did they have to rename and move so many things! Arggggghhh! I now know that I need to buy a copy for one of my home computers so I can sit down and become familiar with it.
    Sorry for more offtopicness, but just buy the MS press 70-620 book which should come with a copy of vista business edition. saves you a few hundred and you also have a book to go by and a cert to go for if you want. :P
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    This is kind of embarrassing... Maybe I'm missing something simple here, please let me know.

So, a friend of mine was having problems with their computer... They just got a new PC a couple months ago and got a copy of Vista Home Premium on it. I have not had much opportunity to play with Vista yet, so it's still a little foreign to me.

Anyway, the problem was that they could not connect to the internet anymore... They called Comcast (Cable ISP) and Microsoft but couldn't get it working.

I went over there and every time I tried to go to any internet properties I was getting an error with dhcpcsvc6.dll.

I was able to get into internet explorer properties through Security Settings under control panel. Afterward, I changed the connection settings which were set to go through a VPN (which is what I suspect was causing the issue with the Dhcpcsvc6.dll).

So, I still was unable to connect to any website! I went into command prompt and could ping yahoo.com and other sites with no problem. So, I put in an IP address for Google in the explorer address bar and magically I was on the internet!

Only, problem is that any links to other websites obviously would not work..... So, I flushed the DNS, I checked the HOSTS file and checked IPconfig to see if they were getting DNS servers from Comcast. I also checked the firewall.

Everything looked good, but for some reason the computer was unable resolve and names!
    Am I just over thinking this and missing some small simple step?

Anyway, I also forgot to grab my jumpstick with all my tech tools, so I didnt, really spend any time running antimalware scans.

Anyway, that is the current problem.

Megadeth4168,

Do you know if your friend has registered/activated Vista with Microsoft yet?
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My thoughts on troubleshooting Vista ....... replace it with XP Pro icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Side note.... I am beyond frustrated with Vista! Why did they have to rename and move so many things! Arggggghhh! I now know that I need to buy a copy for one of my home computers so I can sit down and become familiar with it.
    Sorry for more offtopicness, but just buy the MS press 70-620 book which should come with a copy of vista business edition. saves you a few hundred and you also have a book to go by and a cert to go for if you want. :P

Good suggestion, I think I will end up doing that.

tech-airman, The answer to your question is no, I do not know

RussS, LOL! Yeah, I wish they would let me do that! I gave them my opinion before they bought the PC and they ignored me... Oh well... That and I told them that they didn't need the 64 bit OS either, they got that anyway.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    By the way, on a side note.... I am beyond frustrated with Vista! Why did they have to rename and move so many things! Arggggghhh! I now know that I need to buy a copy for one of my home computers so I can sit down and become familiar with it.

I am somewhat frustrated with Vista also, makes this look like a good alternative.

www.dell.com/open
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2