Options

Veritas - Universal Backup Software?

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
One of the customers I provide support for uses Veritas to do their server backups. How many of you guys use this Backup software in the industry?

If not please put the alternatives.

Cheers,
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unfortunately yes. It does not play well with Lotus Notes.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Unfortunately yes. It does not play well with Lotus Notes.

Really? In what ways please? This customer also uses lotus notes *grumbles*.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lesseee. They have a special Agent, costs extra of course, to backup Notes remotely that I have never gotten to work (and looking at their forums neither have a lot of other folks). Without the agent it will not back up any open mailboxes, which Notes for some bizarre reason likes to do even for people who are logged off. tried 10d and 11d, no joy. Our interim solution was to use a freeware Folder Sync. app. to copy the Notes Data folder to another folder on the same server and back up THAT folder. So Veritas and it's almighty agent fails where a simple 90k free program works. When we got the go ahead to buy a new faster TBU for the main server I thought we'd be free of the problems by putting the older TBU on the Notes Server directly and running it's own copy of Veritas to backup locally...no....11d hangs indefinitely and won't cancel the job until you recycle the services (another problem commonly reported on their forums). MSBackup of course works...another case of a freeby that performs where Veritas fails miserably, of course MSBackup has horrible cataloging and no encryption so it's not a good long term solution.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Pash wrote:
    One of the customers I provide support for uses Veritas to do their server backups. How many of you guys use this Backup software in the industry?

Cheers,

Vertias (or really Symantec Backup Exec as it's called these days) for most clients. In some special circumstances Acronis is used.

Are you having problems with Symantec Backup Exec? Or just curious what others are using?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Pash wrote:

Cheers,

Vertias (or really Symantec Backup Exec as it's called these days) for most clients. In some special circumstances Acronis is used.

Are you having problems with Symantec Backup Exec? Or just curious what others are using?

No, no problems that I have been made aware of Plantwiz. But Ahriakin has kindly made me aware of some issues, our Lotus notes is backed up by our head office IT group currently though. So I think it might be worth contacting them and asking them what they do to backup LN.