Options

High school diploma?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Should I add this to my resume? I was looking over it earlier and submitting it to a few places and I noticed it wasn't listed. I guess up until now I just assumed that people knew I had it since I had my college degrees listed. Is this a mistake on my part or does it not matter?

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Should I add this to my resume? I was looking over it earlier and submitting it to a few places and I noticed it wasn't listed. I guess up until now I just assumed that people knew I had it since I had my college degrees listed. Is this a mistake on my part or does it not matter?

KG
    Unless on the "Statement of Qualifications" it asks you for it, you should not list your high school diploma. I may be wrong, but your degrees should be more than sufficient.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree. I think it's a given that you have a diploma/GED since most, if not all colleges require that for admission.
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    Any place would obviously assume you have that. I've never heard of someone having college degrees but no high school diploma or equivalent. :)
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KG what degree you have? 3 year one ? so whats up with the job ? still working or studying ?
  • Options
    Still studying, going to take the 70-270 once I finish practicing. Permissions mess me up.

I have an associate in Network administration and Computer electronics. I can barely remember the name of my high school, so I've never thought to include it in my resumes. :P

KG
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think the general thought-process is that you really only list the highest level of education you've attained, or you list all the degrees you have that are relevant to the job you're applying for. Not everyone who's gone to college graduated high school. There's nothing stopping a person from enrolling in a community college, most of which do not require any previous education to enroll, and then transferring to a four-year university. However, since most employers consider a high school diploma inconsiquencial once you've graduated college, much like having "graduated" from jr. high school isn't as important once you've graduated high school, they rarely ask you about your high school education. I've found that high school diplomas are really only necessary for the types of "minimum requirement" jobs, like retail sales, and that sort of thing.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Slowhand wrote:
    Not everyone who's gone to college graduated high school. There's nothing stopping a person from enrolling in a community college, most of which do not require any previous education to enroll, and then transferring to a four-year university.
    Ignoring the topic at hand, I don't think its possible to enroll in a program at a community college (since most are state schools which have certain education standards) without a High School Diploma or an equivalent GED, but it is possible to take classes outside of the program.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Stotic wrote:
    Ignoring the topic at hand, I don't think its possible to enroll in a program at a community college (since most are state schools which have certain education standards) without a High School Diploma or an equivalent GED, but it is possible to take classes outside of the program.

It may be different for different states. I enrolled in community college well before taking my GED, and I know plenty of people who simply never finished high school nor did their GED before enrolling and completing both A.S. and B.S. degrees.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I know you can enroll at some community or vocational schools, but they usually require you to get your GED before the completion of the program. *shrug*

KG
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    In California, the state schools just want your money, so they have crafted a variety of ways for non-high school graduates to hand over their money to The State. Anyone with money obtained from a variety of sources can get, at least, a basic and affordable college education in California.

As for the quality of education in California State schools, you get out of school what you personally put into it.