Options

Calling all Please give me your Input

chuckzitochuckzito Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello forum,
I have been lurking quietly on the forum for a while. I have been in my job hunt for a few months now going on tons of interviews with no luck but this all changed yes this is great but I have two offers at the same time and am having a hard time figuring out which to go with. here is my background just graduated with a BS in security systems which is like computer security(lot of theory not much hands-on), completed the Cisco network academy plan on taking my CCNA in July and other IT related classes with some criminal justice classes.

okay now to the good part the first job offer is an entry level training position for a network integration solution company that focuses on security, the position is for 3-6 months then once they believe you are ready they place you at one of there customers sites in nyc, oh it will be for network/security engineer position working remotely to start out and then some travel to the city to meet with other engineers. the pay is only 28,500 while paying for half medical/dental and 401k after 3 months this is for the 3-6 month period then I would assume they make you a better offer when the place you at one of there customers site(I emailed them asking what the payscale/benfits are when the next step comes waiting to hear back)

the other job is in downtown nyc at a computer forensic/investigation firm as a system admin/help desk operator but its only part time 3 days a week at $20-25 an hour but no benefits, no travel reimbursement no nothing. However, after 3 months he said you would probably be full time and you get full benefits etc... It seems like a good place and but I will be starting as a help desk bit#h

so you see a picture of my problem the one place I start off at least getting to the core meat at network/security engineer at less pay but full time with some benefits and who knows what the future holds there waiting for the email back. In addition, this place is in driving distance 30 mins or so but then once the training period is over I will be in NYC

then the other place is more lower level job with a little higher pay but only part time no benefits or anything but once full time I get it all but it is also in down town nyc so I will have to pay to commute there 3 days a week.

What is every ones opinion I sort of have to let them know tomorrow what to do what to do? Of course, I have been looking for a job for months even anything to do with IT, with no luck and now I get two offers at the same time and one starts sort of in security and network engineer but the other is only help desk but at a big comp forensic firm which hires from with in. Isn’t that just great

Thanks all for your input

===================
chuckzito

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    $30,000 in NYC is like making $4 an hour where i live.

It is a very expensive city. With a high cost of living.

I would probably go with the job that pays more. Seems more legit from your small description and it is a higher pay rate with probably a better chance to become fulltime.
  • Options
    chuckzitochuckzito Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well the less paying one is not in nyc during training so i would just have to drive 20 mins and it is full time with half benefits and after the training period im hoping there would be a siginificant increase. and when you do get placed in the city , its not like im going to live there what entry level person could afford that i would commute from my parents house in queens.

the higher paying one is in the city but only part time 3 days a week with no benefits untill you go full time so i would have to pay for train fares subways etc.. for the part time one.

plus i have no experience so i have to start somewhere thanks for the input
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tough choice indeed. The part time job pays considerably higher (cash only) but will allow you lots of spare time to study for certs or keep your eye open for other opportunities. The other job may be a better place to learn even though the pay is lower. The bennies don't sound that great until after the 3 months, while the part time job may offer bennefits after 3-6 months anyway.

I would look at either job with a suspicious eye - unless they guarentee you that better position after the 3-6 months I wouldn't count on either of them following through. They may just keep you in the lower position for a year or more with the carrot on the stick that the promotion is just around the corner. That's just a warning to keep your eyes open and not trying to discourage you.

Spend tonight researching both companies and sleep on your decision. Either way you go I wish you the best. Congrats in advance! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, most, if not all of us had to start in boring, unglamorous positions. If you don't have any real experience, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the job based solely on that. You don't want to find yourself in over your head, only to have to find another job and start at the lower rung some time in the future.