Terminal Server Application Mode...

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I have a server setup as an application server and it has been licensed. I have never setup an application server due to the fact that I normally use citrix for this purpose but a client wants to use windows app server so I have so far set it up and everything seems ok, however it looks like it is going into remote desktop mode instead of application mode.

Again i am not familiar with windows app mode.... Is it supposed to be much like citrix, it should only publish the apps that I installed?

I installed the apps through add/remove programs as the directions explained but it seems as though the when I remote via RDP it gives me the normal remote desktop username/login console and when I log in it gives me a remote window screen....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's no application publishing with Server 2003. There is application publishing in Server 2008's Terminal Services, however. With 2k3 TS, all you get is a complete desktop as if you were RDP'ing into a machine. Since multiple users will be logging into a terminal server, when you install applications on this machine, you must make sure you install applications in application mode. You can do this 2 different ways. Change user /install. Now when you install an application, it will install the application in a different place in registry so it won't interfere with multiple users. After an application is installed, you do Change user /execute. You can also go to the add/remove windows programs and install a program there. This method will automatically set the application to application mode.

Does this help?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Well I cant vouche for its quality ive only skimmed some of it.

But here is a full book on windows 2003 terminal services. This is not pirated, it is released for free from the author on his personal website.

This is the direct link for the book:

http://www.brianmadden.com/downloads/get/Brian-Madden---Terminal-Server-2003-Licensing
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Ok.

I went through add/remove programs. I only want 2 apps installed because they will be used for thin clients machines.

So I just wanted to make sure it works. This pretty much sucks due to the fact that rdp wont allow me to set local usb devices etc to work with the rdp session.

Ok, thanks for the info though.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not running any TS in application mode, so excuse my ignorance. Can't you set either the TS manager or RDP client to to open a certain program at the start? I understand that when you specify that in ADUC (User Properties>Environment), then that is the only program they can run. When they log in, that program starts. When they close it, they are logged off.

Also, won't specifying ADUC>User Properties>Environment - "Connect Client drives at login" connect their USB stuff? I never tried so I don't know.

One last thought is to use Software Restriction policies on the Terminal Server.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Ok, I will elaborate on what I am trying to do.

I am in need of a server that runs thin clients/diskless workstations for point of sale transactions.

So, these workstations would need to have a receipt printer locally (com port), a hand held scanner (usb port), and a pole display (com port) in order to process customers transactions.

This is for a BIG multisite company that deals in alcohol distribution.

They have 18 remote stores and their main Hub store. I am needing to make sure the local devices will work properly over Terminal Services.

So I keep trying to push citrix because it is great for just this, but the cost is too much at the moment due to the fact that they will be purchasing upwards of 100 new thin clients and a diskless server if that is the route they decide to go, as well as terminal service server and all the licensing.

I am trying to keep the TCO down as much as possible.

I am open to any and all ideas.

Thanks!
    And yes, the environment start application is already in there.

Thanks for the information though.
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I'm not running any TS in application mode, so excuse my ignorance. Can't you set either the TS manager or RDP client to to open a certain program at the start? I understand that when you specify that in ADUC (User Properties>Environment), then that is the only program they can run. When they log in, that program starts. When they close it, they are logged off.

Thats correct, so you can setup this on a per user basis in aduc or you can set it for groups of users in the properties of the rdp connection in terminal services configuration snap-in. However, the user could start the explorer shell using the run command or task manager. There is a bunch of gpo for controlling this and the behavior of their session in ts.

doom969
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
    TechJunky wrote:
    So, these workstations would need to have a receipt printer locally (com port), a hand held scanner (usb port), and a pole display (com port) in order to process customers transactions.

There is a open source thin client os called thinstation that I sometimes use. You can push the com ports to the server. I'm not really sure about the usb port, but I think you can too... Also this thin client soft as a really small footprint.

http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/ThIndex

maybe this can help you

doom969
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    I'm kind of thinking that TS is not the best solution either. However I have zero experience with POS systems.
    Ok, I have been reading more and it looks like you cannot redirect serial ports in TS, just printer redirection....

Hrmm.
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    Ok, I figured it out. You have to do a registry tweak, but it seemed to work great today.

Here is the key I edited.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR

Add a DWORD called FilterQueue and the key dword value is FFFFFFFF.

It makes it so it redirects all devices locally to the TS server.
    Nice hack. Let us know if it creates any weird side-issues. Otherwise I am filing that one away for future reference. icon_cool.gif
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Nice hack. Let us know if it creates any weird side-issues. Otherwise I am filing that one away for future reference. icon_cool.gif

So am I.
    Thx techjunky
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    My company uses terminals for its POS system. They actually work pretty well for how we have it setup. Its much easier to make changes to the TS themselves rather than all of the clients. We have 130 something locations with numerous clients at each location.

Our setup:
    We have around 14 Windows 2003 Terminal Servers.
    Each location is connected back to the main office via VPN (dedicated hardware)
    The terminals are WYSE Winterms.
    We have several different types of RDP connections depending on the terminals use.
    POS system just load up 1 program. It is a terminal emulation program that connects them to our AIX system that actually runs the POS.

Physical setup of the POS system:
    LCD monitor.
    Receipt printer (serial)
    Credit Card (ps2 connector - plugs into the keyboard slot)
    Keyboard (usb)
    mouse (ps2)

The major advantages are basically:
    Cost - terminals are cheaper than PCs
    ease of management - much easier to make changes to the TS than hundreds of PCS - With the WYSE connection management software we can image all the devices from our office.
    Additionally most problems associated with them can be fixed by a reboot or their terminal.
    Suess, exactly what we do here.

And for everyone's knowledge, the dword value I gave you was incorrect, I forgot the last name value.

It should be FilterQueueType with a value of FFFFFFFF.

The TS Server is currently on site with a customer for demonstration puropses. When it gets back in the office I will take a screenshot to show you the example of how the redirected printers create's a virtual printer on the actual TS box.

Seuss, what POS program are you using? Those WYSE terminal's look pretty slick. Most of the coffee shops around here use them for their Kiosks.

I was looking at going with the HP http://www.dtresearch.com/prod_webDT168.html

They look pretty stable, plus we are an otherized HP dealer.