Options

Not A Computer Science Major

StevenFL02StevenFL02 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I currently have a bachelor's degree in French. It wasn't originally my plan when I entered college, but it was something I enjoyed very much.

Anyways, I've decided to get into IT and I am currently in a 2 year Computer Engineering program (prepares for CCNA, A+, etc) at a local community college.

Anyways, I was wondering if having just a 2 year computer degree will really limit me in the future. I have a bachelor's degree, but obviously it is not in a technical discipline.

I plan on eventually getting my CCNA and hopefully CCNP, along with other certifications.

Right now, I currently hold an IT Support position.

Are there any of you out there who got your bachelor's degree in a non-technical discipline, but found good jobs in IT?

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Depending on where you are, it probably won't be too much of a limitation for you. A lot of employers admit to simply "looking for a college-graduate", even in IT. The fact that you went through school and got your Bachelor's, then went back and got an Associate's in the specific field you'll be working in is probably going to look pretty good on your resume. One thing you should know, though, is that you'll be fighting hard for those job opportunities against guys who do have a Bachelor's or even a Master's in Computer Science or Information Systems. But, with both your rounded-out Bachelor's experience, which is what a lot of employers look for, your Associate's in computer engineering, and certifications to back you up, you should be able to get your foot in the door and begin working in IT sooner than later.

(As for me, I'm two classes away from finishing a Computer Information Systems A.S, then going on to take Computer Science & Electrical Engineering at UC Berkeley. Of course, I'm a stonethrow away from Silicon Valley, so the competition is cutthroat out here.)

Good luck on your studies, and your certifications. We'll all be looking forward to hearing about your success. And don't be afraid to ask questions when you're stuck on certs, stuck on interviews, or simply need some words of advice.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    You'd actually be surprised, a few of my mates decided to do degrees in History and the other one is currently doing his degree in Astromy. IMO it would be better to have an IT related degree, but like it's been stated already, employers want graduates (really in any field).

-Ken
  • Options
    jasav32jasav32 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the above posters completely. I've been working in a first-level (help desk) support role for about 18 months and gaining some good experience. I have an associate's in software engineering and bachelor's in english. I've started floating resumes out there to interview again and my replies have run the gamut from sytems analyst to applications development and support. I think employers like the well-rounded applicant/job seeker.
    Don't worry, if you have the ambition and drive, someone will like your varied skills and pick you up in IT.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've told this story on here before, but I recently met with a man that was responsible for about 1/4 of a $200 million-dollar company. He eventually got an MBA to get to his current position, but he worked many years as a CCNP with nothing but a degree in theology.

I'm currently wrapping up a degree in psychology =)

Are you getting an associates because you're actually getting something out of the classes or just so you will have an IT-related degree? If you have a 4-year degree and are getting IT-related work experience, you might be able to find a better use for your money. I just can't see an associates really adding that much to a resume that has a 4-year degree, work experience, and certifications.

If you enjoy the classes and/or prefer to learn in a classroom environment, by all means, go for it. I just don't think you should feel obligated to get an IT-related degree.

[edit]

As for my personal experience. I started working for at my father-in-law's 5-person sign company after I got married. They were still on sneaker net, so I networked the place and did various hardware/software upgrades over the next three years. That company eventually merged with a larger company, which is when I took the plunge and built a couple of Windows 2003 machines, and got everything up and running in a domain (I really had no clue what I was getting into, but it seemed like the thing to do). I've had that going for almost two years, and I have been given permission to bring in Exchange this year and Sharepoint next year. My pay is definitely sub-par for the tasks I perform, but I feel this experience will be worth its weight in gold.

My advice to anyone looking to break into IT is this: find a position at a "technology-challenged" company and help them out. The position might not/will probably not even be IT-related (I ran heavy machinery and did other fabrication for the majority of my time), but the experience you gain will be invaluable.
  • Options
    StevenFL02StevenFL02 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot everyone. This was a very big help.
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    During the Internet boom of the 90's, I.T. "professionals" were being hired in droves. Many of these people could talk circles around anybody regarding technical subjects. However, many of those people were ignorant, rude, and selfish. Employers began realizing that technical aspects of a job can be trained. Personality cannot be changed. (If someone sounds like a jerk, and acts like a jerk, they probably are. icon_wink.gif ) While it is arguably more difficult to land a job now, your options are more flexible. You can have a degree in practically anything and get almost any job you want. However, most employers for a tech job still look for some kind of technical aptitude, so don't be too overconfident.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    During the Internet boom of the 90's, I.T. "professionals" were being hired in droves. Many of these people could talk circles around anybody regarding technical subjects. However, many of those people were ignorant, rude, and selfish. Employers began realizing that technical aspects of a job can be trained. Personality cannot be changed. (If someone sounds like a jerk, and acts like a jerk, they probably are. icon_wink.gif ) While it is arguably more difficult to land a job now, your options are more flexible. You can have a degree in practically anything and get almost any job you want. However, most employers for a tech job still look for some kind of technical aptitude, so don't be too overconfident.

Yep, that's where soft-skills are really taking off, now-a-days not only do you have to have the technical knowledge (of course not all as that would be impossible) but you also have to show: responsibility, self-esteem, sociability, self-management, integrity/honesty and common sense.

-ken
  • Options
    dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well that all bodes well for me. I have a Bachelors in Business and AAS in Networking. I do service work for a non profit that over the last few months there has been a purge at the top. The guy in charge was recently let go by the board set up a small business server with 10 workstations, I had nothing to do with this network but was always salivating at the chance. Well it crashed last week and I spent Friday and saturday chasing down a quickbooks and permission issues and got the thing barking again. Now Im the hero and everyone who works at the place is sufficiently frightened of the network on which they depend . So I think I might be walkin into one of those management jobs which will entail keeping the network up and running. The downside is besides the IT end the job is thankless salaried position alot like a job I walked out on years ago. I dont like being stuck between customers, labor, and a clueless board. I actually turned down the job several months ago because I knew I wouldnt get the IT responsabilities. I need that experience now so if its offered again I will accept
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    Perhaps you can do international support for large companies for US and overseas. I worked under contract for Sanofi Aventis, which is very "french" like. I'm sure if you talked your way around you could find youself in a very good IT position using your bilingual skills. Plus they work in different times zones over there so you could be working some odd hours which they should pay you more for.

But you'd have to make this happen for yourself, since they don't know you yet.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Recommend to get a graduate degree on CS or IS. It will help you in long term.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn