Options

CCNA and linux

dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
Hi im currently preparing to begin my CCNA. I was wondering if linux experience is helpful for the course and if it shall help for the CCSP and CCIE eventualy. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Currently, the CCNA barely contains a single sentence regarding Linux. It's mostly about transmission methods, underlying concepts, protocols, and hardware. Most likely, you'll be encountering Windows-related issues and lab exercises. However, Linux experience is still very valuable in a networking role.

Good luck in your Cisco studies!
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Linux knowledge is extremely useful for real life situations. Honestly, in my school, the Cisco stuff works so well that once we get it working the way we want, there isn't a whole lot left to do unless something breaks aside from changing a vlan or something.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, I will defenetly install linux on my workstation ( im setting up a home study lab). Im shure that it will proove usefull later on. One last question I have seen many a cisco CCNA kit vendor stating that software liscencing is the responsability of the buyer. What software are they refering to, I can understand IOS liscencing but is there any other software one needs to get the lab running?
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work with Linux on a daily basis as a admin but it does not do anything for your CCNA.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About 20 years ago it would have been helpful in the Cisco field as the first router IOS was built on the unix core. Since then almost every line of code in the IOS has changed.

But as of now, linux in Cisco is useless, unless you use for a few odd stuff such as TACACS+, Radius, ACS, etc.. But experince on Linux will not increase your understanding of the Cisco IOS.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    AAA good good since im new to linux :) tanks a million
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Actually, now that I think about it, one thing to consider is the fact that you can enable the Linux kernel to understand 802.1Q and forward between vlans if you don't have a router with a FastEthernet port. Maybe I'll see if I can write up a guide for it on Monday since I need to set up a machine to do that this week anyway.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    Rearden wrote:
    Actually, now that I think about it, one thing to consider is the fact that you can enable the Linux kernel to understand 802.1Q and forward between vlans if you don't have a router with a FastEthernet port. Maybe I'll see if I can write up a guide for it on Monday since I need to set up a machine to do that this week anyway.

Here lately Rearden, their are alot of communities designing a small version of firmware for
    cheep routers such as linksys WRT54G, etc... These firmwares run off Linux. These NOS's
    are getting better and better and they are starting to work really good with high end cisco
    equipment. The HyperWRT Firmware can utilize RIP, RIPv2, OSPF, IS-IS and any other IEEE
    standard, including 802.1Q trunking and intervlan routing.

Most people dont realise that these little WRT54G's have a 200Mhz broadcom cpu in it and they
    can easily out preform many Cisco routers. Although I've not been a very big fan of these
    firmwares, they have came along way since the good old days.

Personally i dont like to trust linux at all running in a network communications critical enviroment
    such as a stateful packet inspection firewall, routers, etc... Linux makes great servers but when
    it comes to networking equipment, i think cisco is still light years ahead of the open source
    community.

Any who had to get my two cents worth in... Maybe once I reach a dollar ill cash in... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    I dont think learning linux could help anyone to get a CCNA, CCSP or CCIE, but I can think of two reasons why learning Linux can help you in your career:

Reason number 1. I once attended a job interview for a cisco helpdesk job, they asked me a lot of Unix questions. You know like whats the first process on a Unix box, whats /etc/inittab for, whats the netstat command for, etc, etc

I think that was because Cisco Works runs on HP-UX, so some Unix background was required.

Therefore learning linux would be a good start to learn other Unix OSes, like HP-UX. BTW, most of big telecom companies use Unix to some degree (mainly HPUX and Solaris), so it does not hurt you to know something about it.

Reason number 2. Doing routing and switching on a linux box is a pain in the neck... on second thought, doing anything on a linux box is a pain in the neck. Once you have struggled with linux for a while then you can learn to appreciate the wonders of dedicated routers and switches icon_lol.gif
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    Cucumber wrote:
    Reason number 2. Doing routing and switching on a linux box is a pain in the neck... on second thought, doing anything on a linux box is a pain in the neck. Once you have struggled with linux for a while then you can learn to appreciate the wonders of dedicated routers and switches icon_lol.gif

haha... Yeah I definately have to agree with you here icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    LOL i like reson 2 thats exactly why im not a fan of linux personaly. True its open source thow a tad complex for mainstreem implementation in my oppinion.