Options

Linux+ Questions

tntcodatntcoda Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I am new here, but i am currently doing a BSc in Computer Science, and having just finished my first year I am spending this summer getting certified in a couple of areas to aid with getting an internship next year, specifically my plan is doing Linux+ followed by Network+ then either Security+ or start an MCSE.

So for the past couple of weeks i have been training for Linux+, i have run a Slackware samba/apache/mysql server for the past year, so I already have a common knowledge of the CLI and basic administration and i now have a Fedora VM to practice on, so I'm hoping that with another week of studying followed by a week of practice exams and filling in the gaps i will be ready to take the exam, I have been using Linux+ 2005 in Depth book and TestOut software.

Now onto the questions!

Is IPCHAINS required knowledge for the exam, or can i get away with just IPTables?

Secondly which Internet daemons is it a good idea have configuration experience with? maybe Sendmail, apaches httpd.conf, samba e.t.c? Anything else like SQUID likely to come up?

Thanks for any advice,

Jack
CompTIA Linux+
EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Everything you'll need to learn is listed in the Linux+ Objectives. Make sure you take a look at the whole Linux+ section, as well, for anything else you need to know. You're not going to find any surprises on the test, if it's listed in the objectives and it's covered by your training material, it'll be on there. I used the TestOut software before I took my test, and it really helped a lot, and I hear that the In-Depth book is very good too. Use those two preperation materials, along with the TechNotes on this site, and you'll do fine.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    basic configuration with all of the services you mentioned will be helpful, but you do not have to get to in depth. Spend most of you time working with the CLI, manuvering around the file system, scheduling task. It has been a while since I have taken the test and I haven't done much with Linux since so everything is a little foggy.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete