Options

FIRED!!!

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
So how many people got fired before?? This was a first for me.

About 6 months my boss and I had some problems and ever since then he had it in for me. I know he really didn't like me, but I tried to work with him. I improved a lot in the past few months and he complimented me on it and said I was doin a good job. But ever since we had our problem things just weren't the same. One day we would be real cool and the next he would find everything little thing to **** at me for. So it was only a matter of time before I found another job or he got rid of me. In a way it's kinda good...just wish i would've known it was coming. I had lots of other people in the company tryin to talk him outta it, but I think he really hated me.

Anyways...if a potential employer asks about my last job, how would I handle that? I'm not tryin to lie, but it there a better way to say "I was Fired."? I know I can explain my situation and the HR lady at my old job said I can still use them as a reference...they don't give negative/positive references, just verify employment which I guess would be good for me.

So what kinda advice can you guys give a recently fired guy? I'm tryin to keep my head up....lookin real hard for a new job.
Working on Linux+

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Ok what happened? Six months ago was Dec/Jan, what happened at the company Christmas party? :)

Anyway, better ways to say "I was fired"

Laid off or dept downsized

If the last company doesn't give good/bad references, you could state you left due to:
    1. wanting a new challenge
    2. wanted to do something different
    3. if your currently studying "wanted to improve your career prospects by doing x,y,z that the previous company didn't let me do".

In my opinion honesty is the best policy, however you have to judge each interview at the time. Get a feel of what the company is like, then tell them as much or as little info as required.

Sorry can't be much more help.

-Ken
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, Ken!

Around that time I was goin thru some personal things and my commute to work was horrible. So there was more than a few times i was late. We had a few meetings about it and I improved a lot. My boss was just a different person...maybe it was his military background...don't know.

You gave me some good ideas I didn't think about. I've been sorta lookin for a new job...I'm definitely lookin for something more challenging and different.

I agree honesty is the best policy...I learned that the hard way. icon_lol.gif
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Good luck with your next job mate, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken
  • Options
    NinjaBoy wrote:
    Good luck with your next job mate, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Thanks, I'll definitely keep ya up to date.

Anyone else been in this position or have some advice for me?
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    See the positive side of it. While it's not desirebale to have a job ended in this manner, it's not an employee's fault. Just because somebody was let go, it doesn't mean he/she was to take all the blame. Personal conflicts can and play a role. There is a negative perception (bias I should say) that if someone gets fired, it's automatically asssumed he/she was responsible for it and must take all the blame. It's unfair and untrue. First, we are to quick to judge without examining the case.

So, on the positive side, you don't have to sweat to live upto someone's unrealistic and unfair expectations and play a mind game. You're free of reading's someone's else's mind, something that's not in your job description.

I'm sure when you go to your next interview, your personality and behavior will be a witness of who you're. Honesty is the best policy, but at the same time it's ture that if you mention to an employer that you were fired (or put it in a differenty way), you may be the victim of the bias I mentioned before.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    How long were you at the job for? If you would speak objectively about the job, dont suggest too much that you were a good employee there, simply state that you worked there, did such and such, I dont think the question of "why did you leave" will come up. I've heard that in general, HR asks for reasons of departure from a previous job as a way of knocking a candidate off their self-praising.

If you did not work there too long, maybe you can simply avoid talking about your experience there all together. If you feel it was sufficient experience except for the ending months, simply mention that it was a part of your past experiences, and try not to lead them into asking too much about why you left.

If they were to really ask you, at least they would know that you did not try to sugar-coat your stay&dismissal there, you simply stated a part of your past.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    It's not a big deal to get around I geuss, never having been fired. If I were you though, I would expect to be asked about it at the next interview and just have a brief synopsis of the reason ready and practised for when the question arises. Word it so that your new potential employer won't think there is a risk of the same thing happening to them if they hire you due to the firing being a unique set of circumstances or just a difference in personalities or that you just wern't happy there and found it difficult to get motivated in the position.

Imagine your the employer not interviewing you but interviewing someone else who as got fired for a similar reason. How would you feel about their reason for being let go and would you think, hey, the same could happen to us if we hire this guy.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. Everybody's post makes me feel much better about the situation.
    binarysoul wrote:
    So, on the positive side, you don't have to sweat to live upto someone's unrealistic and unfair expectations and play a mind game. You're free of reading's someone's else's mind, something that's not in your job description.

Good luck :)

I did a great job handling my "job duties" IE what was listed when I was hired. He did have more expectations of me, not necessarily unrealistic.

Bighornsheep,

I was there for about 8 months full-time, and almost a year completely...I started as an intern. This was my first IT job. I really liked the job, but like I said, my boss and I didn't click. I think we both could've been more involved. I like what you say about sugar-coating my stay/dismissal...everyone has been thru some rough times and it is just a part of my past. I never regret anything I do, because there's always a valuable lesson learned.
    kaminsky wrote:
    If I were you though, I would expect to be asked about it at the next interview and just have a brief synopsis of the reason ready and practised for when the question arises. Word it so that your new potential employer won't think there is a risk of the same thing happening to them if they hire you due to the firing being a unique set of circumstances or just a difference in personalities or that you just wern't happy there and found it difficult to get motivated in the position.

Kaminsky, I agree. And I am ready to explain myself. Sometimes people just don't get along no matter what they try. I don't wanna try to put everything on my boss either....I wasn't the best employee in the world, but I really tried to work with him. I changed a lot of things about myself to try and make things work. But we always bumped heads, regardless.

Thanks everyone for your 2 cents....and if anyone else has some advice or exp in this situation, please let me know....
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not meaning to sound harsh here but your boss pulled you over about not being punctual? It happens, in all honesty its very important to remain as punctual as possible. Many people have crappy commutes and go through day to day problems, if they were serious problems that are affecting your performance at work then that is understandable and I hope you made your boss aware of that. If he shows no sympathy then go to his boss, or HR.

Goodluck in the future.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    that sucks ass evan
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    Aquabat wrote:
    that sucks ass evan

Thanks, Brian...got any jobs for me?
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    So, I just wanted to update you guys...I found a new job and I start on the 16th. What's even better is that it's something I really want to learn more about...UNIX/Linux and it's about 10K more than my previous position.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    So, I just wanted to update you guys...I found a new job and I start on the 16th. What's even better is that it's something I really want to learn more about...UNIX/Linux and it's about 10K more than my previous position.

congrats. good luck with the new position.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    I can comment from personal experience. I was let-go from my first job, at glorious Subway (the sandwich place). At the end, I was expected to train the would-be manager of another store without any sort of compensation. I thought this was absolutely rediculous. Not to mention the fact that she was a royal pain in the XXX. Well, let's just say I wasn't happy with that arrangement.

It was sort of ironic, because I became something of a legend among the employees there. icon_lol.gif However, I had never been so upset at myself for what I had done. Luckily, a couple of months later, I got a job at the computer lab at the community college which I attend. That jump-started my IT career. In the end, I regretted leaving my first place of employment in such a manner, but I don't know when or if I would have scored that lab aide job.

Also, ironically, I have only been asked about my Subway job once, which I handled honestly by saying that I don't know anyone who works there now. I guess it was also a stroke of luck that no one that I worked with is employed at that store anymore!

Anyway. As to the whole fact about getting fired: I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your firing wasn't due to something socially unacceptable (like smoking pot in the bathroom), handle it in an honest way if you are confronted with a question from a possible employer. If an employer can't handle something trivial, you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    Getting lay off/downsized and fired are different things!

Lay off/downsize means that the company cannot keep you due to the companies own issues. (Not enough money to run the business, existing services are shipped off shores)

Fired means you have done something bad that the company can no longer keep you. It would be your own fault. (Stealing, performance issues, conflict with workers)
  • Options
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    Getting lay off/downsized and fired are different things!

Lay off/downsize means that the company cannot keep you due to the companies own issues. (Not enough money to run the business, existing services are shipped off shores)

Fired means you have done something bad that the company can no longer keep you. It would be your own fault. (Stealing, performance issues, conflict with workers)

I definitely agree. My boss would say my work quality was unsatisfactory. However, I still get a GREAT reference from this job. Like I said, my boss and I did not get along....I hated workin for him and as he told me, "I didn't even want to see your face around here." I'm not ashamed of being FIRED...I just wish he could've called me at home and let me know. He didn't have to bring me in for 2 hours and scream at me just to let me go. But I'm not mad about it. He did what he had to do...it was only a matter of time before I found something MUCH better. Also, I can get a great a reference from ANYONE in the company including the CEO.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had been passed off for promotion due to punctuality many years ago. He told me my technical skill are excellent but he could not justify my promotion to his superiors because of my punctuality.

In the next job I had. I learned I am a replacement for the guy I am working with because he will be terminated by the end of the year because of his frequent absences and punctuality (He doesn't know this). He got axed as scheduled.

Now I learned my lessons. IT field is critical. Business people don't know anything about computers and they get nervous when you are not around. You are their insurance just in case something happen. Frequent absences and late for work will get you noticed.

Now I sleep early and do my studying at work. icon_smile.gif

Also you will feel the axe coming before it really does. The first sign is you will have frequent disagreement with your superior. One sure sign is he disagrees with you even if your point it correct in all aspect. So if you cannot have good rapport with your boss better start looking. The boss will be forgiving of your shortcomings if you are in good terms with him. He will also make good reference if you leave while you are still in good terms with him.

Only my 2cents..... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Good points manols! The key thing as you mentioned is rapport, which I believe should be mutual.

Seems you've got some good workplace experience under your belt :) Hope your paycheck is as good !
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks binarysoul.

Sadly my paycheck is not enough. icon_cry.gif

But it actually drives me to finish my MCSE. icon_mad.gif
    That is my incentive to study hard.
    Aside from wishing to have a financially stable life icon_wink.gif Of course....
  • Options
    buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have never been fired. But I would just take it it tunr it into a positive. When you are explaining it to new companies just say laid off and say it was not challenging enough. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    I've not been on good terms with my manager for a few years but he can't get rid of me too easily. That, of course, means I've no chance of promotion though. Example happened last year when a bloke with less experience and knowledge than me got a promo over me.

Nothing to do with time keeping or anything like that but more to do with 3 major eye operations which kept me laid off for a couple of months at a time.

So I've been getting qualified to go with my experience and am now begining to look for a proper job with a proper career path. I wish I could give my boss the finger when I leave but alas not a good idea. ;)
    ~Thiassi