Options

Recomend new Forum - Java

I realize this is posted in the wrong area, was hoping to catch JDMurray's attention...

Noticed there are a a lot of programmers going for both Java and C# certifications. Maybe we could get a Sun Java Certifications Forum?

http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/index.xml

Comments

• Options
    tjcassertjcasser Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suppose it might not be a bad idea, per se, but there are other fora out on the Internet that are strongly geared towards Java certification. Might be better to seek out one of those rather than starting another and trying to build a new core group here.

Nothing against here, really. :) Just seems like a duplication of effort.
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications
    MCPD: .Net Framework 2.0 Enterprise Applications
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    bcairns wrote:
    I realize this is posted in the wrong area, was hoping to catch JDMurray's attention...

Noticed there are a a lot of programmers going for both Java and C# certifications. Maybe we could get a Sun Java Certifications Forum?
    I'll have a chat with JD and see what he thinks. One of the reasons we started the .NET category in the Blogs is that we want to attract more developers so a Java forum would fit in that plan.
    tjcasser wrote:
    I suppose it might not be a bad idea, per se, but there are other fora out on the Internet that are strongly geared towards Java certification. Might be better to seek out one of those rather than starting another and trying to build a new core group here.

If that were a valid reason not to start a new forum we wouldn't have forums. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    tjcasser wrote:
    [qoute]
    [qoute]
    If that were a valid reason not to start a new forum we wouldn't have forums. icon_wink.gif[/quote]

So true........Remember guys this is a certification forum
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    How may requests for a Java programming certification forum have we had from users in the past several years? I don't remember any off the top of my head. Do we have many admitted Java programmers on TE? I'm concerned that we wouldn't have expert people to answer Java questions.

The Sun Microsystems Java certs are the only ones that I know of that have any clout in the Java community. Rather than a new forum for all Java certs, maybe we should have a new forum group for all Sun Java technology professional certifications instead. Thoughts?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Or, like in the MS forums we have a "Other Microsoft Electives", perhaps a "Other Developer Certifications" forum to start and see which ones grow enough to warrant their own forum?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    tjcassertjcasser Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Do we have many admitted Java programmers on TE? I'm concerned that we wouldn't have expert people to answer Java questions.
    *raises his hand* Though I don't know how "expert" I'd really count in general on Java itself - I'm a competent Java developer and have all of the Sun certs under my belt save one. That's also, though, why I'd stated earlier that I think there's already fora elsewhere that serve the purpose. I tend to come here for researching the MS certs I'm working on, but ask my Java questions elsewhere.
    The Sun Microsystems Java certs are the only ones that I know of that have any clout in the Java community.
    I don't know of any others, from having looked. A few of the application server vendors (IBM, BEA and JBoss among them) offer certifications specific to their software, but that's about it.
    The idea of an "Other Developer Certifications" forum does appeal to me, on the other hand, since there are several other programs, and it would at the very least allow others here who are looking for information on other programs find resources in a familiar audience. (There's something similar at JavaRanch, geared to let the Java folks ask questions about non-Sun exams.)
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications
    MCPD: .Net Framework 2.0 Enterprise Applications
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    JD wrote:
    How may requests for a Java programming certification forum have we had from users in the past several years?
    About 2 or 3 perhaps, which by itself is not enough reason to create one but it counts.
    JD wrote:
    I'm concerned that we wouldn't have expert people to answer Java questions.
    It looks like we have at least one, but it would be a community-effort anyway. 2 know more than 1 - even non-experts can help out each other.
    JD wrote:
    Rather than a new forum for all Java certs, maybe we should have a new forum group for all Sun Java technology professional certifications instead.
    Sure, a single forum in it's own category like we have for the CWNP certs.

As for the suggestions for an "Other dev certs" forum: I considered a Developers Certifications 'category' and move this forum (MS dev certs) to it and add a Sun Java forum, and possibly others. The things is, although there are others, they aren't nearly popular enough to justify yet another new forum, and the MS dev certs kinda belongs here.

Normally when I create a new forum there are already a bunch of topics in the General Certification forums, in this case we only have 1 topic about SJCP. But, as it would go on the bottom of the list on the forum index it won't be in the way either and if it doesn't work out I can always move the topics back to the General Certifications forum.

Sooo... expect a new Sun category with Java certs forum soon.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think I'm going to lean towards the general Sun category, maybe even going so far as to say putting a Solaris/Java certification section up. I'd imagine that there'd be a lot of spillover between people who take Java certifications, like Sun assuming you're coding on a Solaris machine the same way Microsoft assumes all programming, .NET or otherwise, is done on a Windows box. That way, we'd attract the SCSA-crowd, as well as the Java developers. If there is enough of a crowd for both areas of certification, there could always be a split into dedicated sections later on.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    JDMurray wrote:
    How may requests for a Java programming certification forum have we had from users in the past several years? I don't remember any off the top of my head. Do we have many admitted Java programmers on TE? I'm concerned that we wouldn't have expert people to answer Java questions.

The Sun Microsystems Java certs are the only ones that I know of that have any clout in the Java community. Rather than a new forum for all Java certs, maybe we should have a new forum group for all Sun Java technology professional certifications instead. Thoughts?

Probably good to specifically gear it tward the Sun certs rather then coding standards and the "how do I make a hello world app".

Or I might start asking things like:

Not having touched java since the late 90s I have a lot of questions and catching up to do. For example - why learn java when you can use Mono on Linux to make C# apps? or would I be better off using C++ for Linux apps.

Or how do you compile a Java app into native code for windows?

Just my $0.02
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wrote a whole elevator simulation program in C++ a few years ago. Now, the only thing keeping me in check with OOP is my lemmings analogy...ohh my.

Anyway! On topic, nice forum. I know a lot of the programs I use with nortell related products use a Java backbone, expect my endless questions :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    vegetaholicvegetaholic Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    I wrote a whole elevator simulation program in C++ a few years ago. Now, the only thing keeping me in check with OOP is my lemmings analogy...ohh my.

Anyway! On topic, nice forum. I know a lot of the programs I use with nortell related products use a Java backbone, expect my endless questions :)

Wow, you have written simulation programs, what kind of algorithm you used for that.
    please share your work here. :P
    You can't kill Java because he is sun of king C.