Options

Need help with my new build...2 problems

longshotlongshot Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just built a new computer (for gaming) and I have run into 2 problems.

1. The computer reboots on its own. There is no specific time when it does it. It does it during Halo gameplay or just sitting there doing nothing.

2. I tried to replace the processor fan with a Volcano. The computer starts for maybe half a second and stops. I have to reset the power supply for it to even try again. I tried the fan from my older computer and the same thing happens. I put the original fan back in and it runs (until the first problem pops up).

Equipment: MSI K-6 Delta LSR Motherboard 333 Frontside Bus, AMD XP2600 Socket A, 512 2700 ddr ram, 350 watt power supply, ATI 9200 Radeon 8x AGP Graphics and Windows 2000 Professional.

What do you think. Bad Processor, bad Motherboard or bad Power supply is what I am thinking. Please help. Got games to play...lol. :P
Webmaster: www.longshotdesigns.com
Stunters Digital Artwork (It's halfway up now)

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Your first problem :

If you system is continuously re-booting, you might have the blaster worm virus, or a variation. If you have an anti-virus, get the latest file definition pack, and scan all drives. If it finds something, you can clean it, and then you may want to also install a firewall. Here's a couple of links to check out.

Your second problem:

Is the fan compatible with power supply? If it's off, that could cause a power supply to quit as a safety measure.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Well after spending alot of time reading about a reboot problem over at msi's forums...I think its the motherboard. Just bad manufaturing. Over 10 pages of post about the k6-lsr with cold reboots and other types of reboots.

Not a virus...Norton was completely updated and scanned the full system . Reinstalled Windows 2000...still does it. Services paks...still does it. Got a copy of Windows XP...gonna install it and do some other tweaks to see if it helps. If not ...getting rid of that board.

Now the fan...the old computers heatsink and fan should be fine....but it does not work. Dont know...maybe another bad manufacturing problem.

Solution...take it back and get a better motherboard.

Thanks for the help though.

I hate that but I want a stable system.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another thing to look for in XP is System Restart configure in startup and recovery. What that does is reboot automatically rather than giving you error messages .... those messages are most helpful in diagnosing an issue.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Russ... I was running Windows 2000 Pro at the time. Got home and Finished up the XP install. It rebooted on me one time after tweaking it.

Went and got a MSI KT4V Motherboard for around 80 bucks today. I installed everything. Been playing Halo for aboout 2 hours now and no glitches whatsoever. The Volcano Fan Works!!!! Got the Xp2600 clocked up a little, running at 2206 MHz. Running like a freaking champ and staying at 57 degrees Cel.

The problem evidently lies with the MSI Series of MB's Kt6 Delta LSR. Did nto see other problems posted on the other 2 MB's in that series. Differences in what comes on the MB's.

I did not trust MSI after the KT6 problem but had to gamble on the new MSI and it paid off so far.

Now I am gaming my buttox off. icon_twisted.gif