Options

Opinions

dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
I have decided on my home lab kit and would like it to still be valid for CCNP later on. What do you people tink about the following kit:

http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/ccna-router-switch-kits/advanced-cisco-ccna/starter-ccnp-lab-kit/prod_90.html

Will it be usefull for CCNA begining CCNP as the site advertises?

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    those switches aren't really going to do anything for you for CCNA or CCNP.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    AAA other then the switches how is the kit in terms of routers?? Also what switches would you suggest i guet. Thanks in adance for advice
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NAh I wouldn;t pay that much for that. Those switches are useless as far as CCNA is concerned and will do nothing but confuse you for the test.

You need 2924's or better, for CCNP i believe you will need a 2950.

I got 3 2610's 1 2620, 8 WIC-1T's , 1 NM-4AS, 1 2950, and 2 2924's, 5 DTE/DCE cables, a console kit ALL for 800 bucks.

Don;t buy those pre-assembled kits. They are rediculously expensive. All the parts are refurb or used anyways so you might as well build your own. BY building your own, you pay less and you can design it to how you want.

Most of the kits I have seen are probably marked up 50% AT LEAST!

Just be patient and look for good deals on ebay, thats what I did.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're all overlooking one thing about this kit, it has an WIC-1BU, makes it all worth it icon_exclaim.gif

I would look on eBay you can find the 3640's for $200 - 300, and the 2620's for 150-200. That kit is overpriced and there's nothing it will give you that you can't get from building a Dynamips lab. (The switches aren't going to be very useful for CCNP studies and the 1900's are worthless for CCNA anymore because they onlty support ISL and the CCNA is all dot1q for trunk configurations)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    well it seems everyone has negative coments on that kit so i shant be guetting it. I would appriciate if some of you could psot your lab harware, I know there is a tutorial thow beeing new to cisco id rather have a nice shoping list.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dell and Cisco really need to quit being so close in numbers.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    You're all overlooking one thing about this kit, it has an WIC-1BU, makes it all worth it icon_exclaim.gif

I would look on eBay you can find the 3640's for $200 - 300, and the 2620's for 150-200. That kit is overpriced and there's nothing it will give you that you can't get from building a Dynamips lab. (The switches aren't going to be very useful for CCNP studies and the 1900's are worthless for CCNA anymore because they onlty support ISL and the CCNA is all dot1q for trunk configurations)

You can get a BRI card on ebay for like 40 bucks. Is ISDN that important for CCNA?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    There are many discussions regarding the ISDN stuff in this forum. (link below) Most people say that you just need to know the book/theory stuff unless you want to dish out alot of $. You can pick up some used equipment or by a sim etc also...

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21833