Options

CCNA attempt on deployment- Update: Passed 898

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys. Long story short, I gave the CCNA a half hearted attempt while on R&R from deployment 9 months ago, since my voucher was about to run out. Nearly passed..but didn't. My mind wasn't in it, and I had more important thoughts going through my mind at home..like enjoying my two weeks of being home from Iraq.

Fast forward to now, and I found out we have a new testing center on this camp, so I am taking the CCNA next thursday (the 28th). I have studied pretty hard, and am very confident this time around. Not to mention, I have been working with a fairly large network here, so that has allowed me to stay close to the technology. I see no reason why I shouldn't pass, but I'm being extra paranoid, and going over every lab I can get my hands on, and reviewing all the tiny details that tend to slip as time passes.

We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that if all goes well I will either knock one CCNP test out of the way before going home. I'll be sure to post a little more as time gets closer. I am pulling 12 on, 12 off's, so I have to really be disciplined and study every chance I get at work, and when I get off, before going to bed. Infact, I am going to knock out some practice tests now...

Update: Took the CCNA tonight after a longggggg day of standing out in the sun, and got a 898. My buddy took it as well, who had no hands on experience, and had only studied about a month, and got an 809. He is leaving the military once we get back to our home station, so he is determined to pass the CCNA before getting out.

We took the test at our division HQ. He went first (only one seat/system used for testing), and I followed. As soon as I sat down, I wrote down any small details that I tend to forget, and then got to the test. I wrote down a LOT during the test..mostly drawing out diagrams/subnetting, and writing my configs before even touching the keyboard, so I can review them. Finished in about 1 hr 10 minutes, and then got my report. Just relieved this is done...now I need to hop on amazon and get my BSCI books on the way...

Mike

Comments

• Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    Sounds like you have a plan for success. Keep in mind that paranoia can be a pretty powerful driving force. If you're anything like me it can force you to study harder than you otherwise would.

Keep up the hard work and let us know how things go.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, shouldn't be a problem. I'm also taking the test at the same time as a guy from my unit who just got into cisco about a month ago..so I have no choice but to pass. We'll see. I was doing the labs I had back at my room yesterday, and couldn't find anything that could trip me up on those. Just reviewing the practice Q's I got, and going back over little details.