Options

Knowing source and destination IP/MAC addresses for INTRO

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
As this is somewhat confusing for me, and considering that I'll almost certainly get a question like this on my INTRO test, could someone let me know if I have this right?

-When an IP packet leaves host A to go to host B across the country, the Layer 3 source address is the IP of the sending host.
-When an IP packet reaches host B from host A, the Layer 2 source address is the MAC address of the outgoing interface of the closest router.
-After leaving host A, the layer 2 destination address going to host B will be the MAC address of the interface of its gateway router.

Is this right? It's what I've gleaned from my Sybex notes. Thanks tons.

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CORRECTAMUNDO!!!

Ya the layer 2 source/dest. MAC gets changed everytime the packet traverses a Link. When a datagram comes in on a router's interface, it will have a layer 2 header. This will be shucked off to view the contents of layer 3. When the router sees the destination IP, it says OK I now how to get to this network, out this local interface to this next hop. but before it sends that datagram, it is encapsulated with new source and destiantion MAC. I like to think of a router as a box of NICS. The packet goes from nic to nic. So just like a nic on a PC, the nic on the router will put that layer 2 info in there.

Do you have any gear? If so bust out Ethereal.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tricon7 wrote:
    As this is somewhat confusing for me, and considering that I'll almost certainly get a question like this on my INTRO test, could someone let me know if I have this right?

-When an IP packet leaves host A to go to host B across the country, the Layer 3 source address is the IP of the sending host.
    -When an IP packet reaches host B from host A, the Layer 2 source address is the MAC address of the outgoing interface of the closest router.
    -After leaving host A, the layer 2 destination address going to host B will be the MAC address of the interface of its gateway router.

Spot on sir. Just remember the layer 3 address doesnt change host to host, even when crossing broadcast domains.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Pash wrote:
    Tricon7 wrote:

Spot on sir. Just remember the layer 3 address doesnt change host to host, even when crossing broadcast domains.

Cheers,

Pash,

Unless NAT is involved. :)
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    Tricon7 wrote:

Cheers,

Pash,

Unless NAT is involved. :)

I stand corrected :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    In a simple sentence, the layer 3 address doesn't change, but the layer 2 address changes after each hop.
  • Options
    baldychokobaldychoko Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Stotic you just helped me understand that topic, and all in one sentence.