Options

Online College

resourcesresources Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello people. Am interested for online College for Diploma in Networking. I live in Cyprus so i dont really know so much about Online Trusted Colleges. Am waiting for discussion. Thanks
A+ NETWORK+ MCP2000 MCP2003 (EC-COUNCIL) NSA CNST

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are a ton of already existing threads regarding this exact topic. Search for online universitiies, online university, online college, etc. to find existing threads regarding this topic. Here is a thread I distinctively remember regarding this topic. http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20036
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The problem is in finding a distance learning university with a good IT Networking program that accepts non-US citizens. I'm looking through the discussion forums at degree.net for information on such online universities now.
  • Options
    corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    University of Phoenix has international classes and they are one of the biggest online Universities. A lot of people have a stereotype that it's a "diploma mill" but I am taking classes there and disagree. This is actually much tougher than when I went to traditional college because there is 10x more reading.
  • Options
    I associate UoP with many complaints about the wide variation in the quality of teaching. From what I have read, this seems to be a regional problem with specific campuses and not with UoP as a whole. I've also heard some stories about UoP students demanding to be given a grade of "A" regardless of their work in a class because they had paid "good money" for the tuition. There are a lot of good stories about bad students in the discussion forums where UoP instructors hang out.
  • Options
    corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it's the old cliche of, "it is what you make of it". I've known people that have gone to ASU and got a degree but they just barely skated by because they were busy partying all the time. I've also known people who have gone to Devry and they are some of the most intelligent IT folks I know.

I very rarely even need my instructor for anything in my online courses. I basically just look at the syllabus and course materials and go to town. This is the way I've always wanted to do college because I don't have to go anywhere and I do everything on my own time. I also feel like I am learning more because of all the reading I do for class. It's much more difficult than I anticipated but I think it will be rewarding when I finish.
  • Options
    corey1980 wrote:
    I very rarely even need my instructor for anything in my online courses.
    This is also my experience with online courses at Capella University. The concept of "self-directed learning" means that the instructor does not lead the classes, but is only there to answers questions and keep all of the students on track with their discussions and assignments. I've had a couple of instructors who were quite chatty in the discussions, and I would learn a lot from their experiences, but most Capella instructors just lurk unobtrusively in the background until you need them. Some students greatly dislike the lack of instructor participation in the online classrooms, but it works for me.