Options

Job update, my experience

CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
Well here it is... I have been with a company for about a year and its been great. I am currently in a basic IT position kind of a jack of all trades but labeled an IT Tech, which is just fine. I am recently out of college with an A.A.S. in CS (2005), I worked out of the field for about a year doing a groundskeeping job that I loved very much but really wanted to get in IT. Like many of you it was very very hard going finding an opening, on a whim I checked a website that I forgot about for about a year and noticed they had the current job I am in as an opening, I thankfully landed this after almost a year of searching.

Fast forward to now I passed my first MCP the other month and am now going to sit the 290 next month with my realistic hopes of my mcsa(hopefully:security) by year end... Noting my experience and my desire to get up to totem pole so to speak I applied for a Network Analyst position for a county and got a call back the next day stating that I caught their eye (for reasons that related to their preferred section on the job listing), so in any case I have an interview sometime in July since their hiring manager is out but I am SUPER excited cause I think I have a great chance at this...

In either case I want to make you all very aware that if you are fresh out of school and like many of us out there, have no real direct hookups via friend/relative to a position, dont feel like you are going to be passed over forever no matter how dire the straights seem. I want to relay that it took me many years to achieve a 2 year degree while working full time, at least a year to critique my resume and gain interviewing skills and years in manual labor humping it jobs before I even got a nice shot.

Good things come to those who work hard, and if they dont, work harder... I have lived by this philosophy for a while now and it has always been a good moral booster. I wish the rest of you all the luck in the world.
MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |

Comments

• Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very nice post! Glad it worked out for you in the end, and best of luck in the future :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm late but, I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Keep excelling and pushing yourself..too many people in this field get comfortable where they are, and some young buck hungry for IT knowledge passes em' up..it's a beautiful thing.