Options

Don't Know What To Think. Did I Get The Job ?

1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
Hi Collegues!

I’ve been reading the forum for a while - tons of useful info, helpful people. This site rocks! I never thought I’d be posting here anytime soon, but I really like to know your opinion about my situation.

I’ve been looking for a job for 3-4 months and I had 3 interviews. The last one was with a huge and rapidly growing bank for a Jr. Network Engineer position (Cisco). It was in the beginning of June and I impressed all 3 interviewers. I mean, I KNEW I DID GREAT, it was written all over their faces! I like every little detail about the job: the tasks, the manager, the fellow engineers, the recruiter are amazing!
Two days later (Thursday), my recruiter calls me saying “Congrats, you got the job! We only have to wait for an executive to authorize spending of the money. He/She’ll do it on Monday/Tuesday and I’ll give you a call on Friday”. :D
Next Friday, he calls saying it’ll be next Tuesday/Wednesday: Nothing to worry about. icon_sad.gif
Next Wednesday, I call him and he says – Friday: Nothing to worry about. icon_eek.gif
Today’s Friday. No calls. icon_mad.gif

Anybody been there?
Is this a realistic scenario when a big company hires someone or is it a clear sign that they changed their minds?
I also noticed that they are advertising similar position directly (without a recruiter). Are they trying to save money? Who knows. I did everything in my power and there’s nothing I can do about it now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hang in there. These things can take a while if someone higher up decided to get "involved in the process". If you know you did great, then remain confident. Drop them an email to let them know you're anxious to start. Meanwhile, uhm, keep an eye open for other opportunities. icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Hang in there. These things can take a while if someone higher up decided to get "involved in the process". If you know you did great, then remain confident. Drop them an email to let them know you're anxious to start. Meanwhile, uhm, keep an eye open for other opportunities. icon_wink.gif

Thanks sprkymrk for fast reply. I only have the manager's name and address. Would regular mail be appropriate ?
  • Options
    corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It took almost 5 weeks of paperwork, background checks, and waiting around for me to start my current job. I would assume since they already offered you the job that they are just waiting for all the approvals that are required in the hierarchy of corporate BS. I would do as somebody suggested and keep looking just in case...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    midiman wrote:
    I only have the manager's name and address. Would regular mail be appropriate ?

That would be fine. However, a real IT gy could find out the email address of the manager w/o too much trouble... icon_wink.gif

What is the company name? Say it's company.com. Check the website and see if there is a directory listing. Maybe all you can find is a sales@company.com. Drop an email inquiry about something using a gmail or hotmail account to remain anonymous. When a live person responds and says "Hi, my name is Joe Blow. Thanks for contacting us about blah blah blah." Now check his email address. Oh wow, it's joeb@company.net. That's probably a standard format. What is the manager's name? John Smith? Drop an email to johns@company.net.

I am sure you can go from there and see what you find. Google is a great resourse. So is www.dnsstuff.com. Also tools like finger, whois, and nslookup work well.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    midiman wrote:
    I only have the manager's name and address. Would regular mail be appropriate ?

That would be fine. However, a real IT gy could find out the email address of the manager w/o too much trouble... icon_wink.gif

What is the company name? Say it's company.com. Check the website and see if there is a directory listing. Maybe all you can find is a sales@company.com. Drop an email inquiry about something using a gmail or hotmail account to remain anonymous. When a live person responds and says "Hi, my name is Joe Blow. Thanks for contacting us about blah blah blah." Now check his email address. Oh wow, it's joeb@company.net. That's probably a standard format. What is the manager's name? John Smith? Drop an email to johns@company.net.

I am sure you can go from there and see what you find. Google is a great resourse. So is www.dnsstuff.com. Also tools like finger, whois, and nslookup work well.

Or

You could ring up the bank and ask for that persons email address or contact telephone? Explain that you had a job interview and you were told you had been successful and you are awaiting confirmation details.

Sometimes I blurt out a story so epic and with such pace, that the person on the other end of the phone submits in seconds.

Goodluck and well done :)

Btw i didnt mean to appear rude when i said this, i know what mark said above was a very valid and skill worthy way of obtaining an email address. But somtimes just picking up the phone can get things done quickly and put your mind at rest.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    I head from the recruiter recently and the bank DID NOT approve the budget for the position.

BTW: What hiring manager was impressed the most was my proficiency in Russian (native), Latvian (native) and Spanish (basic) in addition to my non-native English. icon_eek.gif He sees that as a big sign that I'm able to learn new stuff fast(in addition to having B.S. in Comp. Sci.) It's important to list as many skills as possible on resume because you never know what will impress the interviewer. At the same time, words "Congratulations! You've got the job" does not mean you're hired!

Back to job sites !

Thank you all for your responses.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wonder why they did things ass backwards...why not approve the job and the related budget, and THEN start hiring? What a waste of your time...hang in there!
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    Oh, by the way, after working for almost 3 years, I was laid off today. We have %50 personnel layoff. They fired the ones with higher salaries. It doesn't matter if it's a bad or good employee (like me, often bringing the most cash while having highest users' feedback). If I didn't receive raises, I would still work there.
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    midiman wrote:
    I head from the recruiter recently and the bank DID NOT approve the budget for the position.

The same thing happened to me. I hate staffing services.